Chapter XVI: I Remember, I Remember Not

Lady Therese De Beauharnais of Roche

15 October, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

"Tessie, I want to play with Oncle Ned!"

I glanced up from my work, to find Tommy tugging on my arm. "He is busy, child," I explained for the hundredth time that day, "he needs to prepare for his engagement ceremony tomorrow."

He sighed, saddened at once, and I felt a large, heavy stone drop to the pits of my stomach. Biting my lip, I looked down at my almost-completed draft of the petition which I had been working on endlessly for the past week.

Can it wait? I deliberated, the poor boy has been sitting around here in boredom all day. I shall finish this up tonight.

I set aside my books and stood up. "All right," I gave in, "would you like me and Liv to play with you instead?"

His eyes brightened. "All right! Shall we play – "

"Nay, darling, I am busy and so is Tessie," Liv strode into my bedchambers, and shot an apologetic glance at Tommy, "we cannot play with you at the moment. I am so sorry."

Again, Tommy's face fell.

"And may I ask why?" I frowned at her in disapproval.

"The Modiste has brought our new gowns for the engagement ball tomorrow, and we need to try them on and make any adjustments if necessary," she answered excitedly, "listen to Tommy, and bring him to Lord Testalt. He will have a better time playing with his uncle, rather than watching the seamstress work on our gowns."

On cue, she was followed by a tall, elegant woman and a few of her colleagues who carried our gowns and their sewing boxes, and they went about setting up a temporary boudoir in my chambers.

"Liv, he is also busy with preparations for his engagement ball tomorrow," I reminded her, "how will he keep an eye on the child?"

"The Castle staff are helping him extensively. He will have time to spare."

"Liv – "

"Darling," she turned to Tommy with her sweetest smile, who was watching us with some confusion, "would you rather stay here and watch Tessie try on gowns, or play with your Oncle Ned?"

The answer was clear as day to him. "Play with Oncle Ned!"

"See?" she laughed, "now bring him to Lord Testalt, and come back here soon. I met him on my way up here. He is at the ballroom, helping the staff put up the decorations."

Rolling my eyes, I took Tommy's hand, and we walked out of my chambers. On my way to the ballroom, I muttered a string of advice to the child.

"There will be many people at the ballroom, carrying all sorts of heavy objects – chairs, tables, and so on," I told him, "if you disturb them, they may drop what they are carrying and you may get injured. You do not want that to happen, do you?"

He shook his head obediently. "Nay, Tessie."

"You are a little boy, and they are all very, very tall," I warned, "they may not notice you. Therefore, you must be extra careful, and keep out of their way. All right?"

"All right, Tessie."

"Stay with your Oncle Ned, and do not wander around," I instructed, as we approached the ballroom, "and of course, if you become tired, ask him to bring you back to my chambers. The Modiste and her helpers will leave in a couple of hours, and you can sleep in peace."