Chapter 23: Kei Valancia

"You broke him," - Rei

~~~~~~~~~~

It took a good hour before the kitchen was spotless once more. But as we all stood side-by-side, there was a simultaneous stomach rumble that filled the room. I felt a heat creep up my neck and inflame my cheeks, guilt at being the main cause for it.

"Sorry guys. I ruined dinner for you all." Kasey waved away my apology and grinned.

"Don't sweat it, Luna. This is Las Vegas for crying out loud! I bet Alpha will be kind enough to order us some takeout." She slid him a sideways glance and Ryker shook his head but smirked.

"I guess it can't be helped. Kasey, Jeremy, I'll let you figure out what we'll be eating this afternoon while Kei and I attend to some business." Kasey squealed in delight and grabbed Jeremy's arm, yanking him behind her as she disappeared out of the kitchen.

I stared after them, mystified. "Where are they going?" Ryker reached over and grabbed my hand, pulling me to his side and lacing our fingers together.

"They probably went to the study. They would rather order from online than calling." He rolled his eyes as he gently tugged me along, exiting the kitchen and into the hallway. "And fair warning, they'll probably get Chinese." I shrugged and followed him as we made our way towards the direction of the living room.

"Eh. I'll eat anything they order." He chuckled and leaned over to kiss the top of my head.

"I figured," he said into my hair. We were silent the rest of the way, and once we made it to the doorway, he stopped. Unsurprisingly, we found Titus lounging in one of the recliners, his back to us.

"Well don't just stand there. Do you want to know or not?" His tone was short, the words were annoyed. Ryker and I shared a look before soundlessly entering the room. We walked around the recliner that he occupied and sat on the couch opposite him.

When I was able to get a good look at him, I was slightly disappointed to see all the pasta fully removed and it looked as if he had changed clothes. Bummer. The instant that we were visible to him, however, his eyes locked onto our connected hands.

I heard him mutter under his breath, but the words were in a different language. Foreign and inapprehensible to me. But from his expression, it probably wasn't good whatever he said.

"I'll say. He's not very happy with you right now," Rosalinda scoffed. I simply ignored her.

The pale skin between Titus's eyebrows were drawn down in a severe frown, his lips tight and in such a fierce glower I was afraid I would disintegrate from the force. The feeling of being on edge disappeared when I recalled him covered in noodles.

Without meaning too, I let out a burst of laughter. A muscle in his jaw ticked in annoyance as I giggled behind my hand. "I think it would be best that you never bring today up. Ever again." He turned his head so to hide his reaction but not soon enough. I saw the flash of red creep up his cheeks in an embarrassed blush. Even Ryker gave a quiet chortle.

"I can't promise anything." Ryker snickered. Titus whipped his head around, his eyes shooting daggers at him.

"Do you two want to know why we are here or not?" He griped irritably. Both Ryker and I shared a look, grinning knowingly.

"Okay. I promise not to bring it up again." I smiled cheekily at him and he stared hard at me, debating whether to believe me or not. Seemingly coming to a decision, he nodded and sank back into the cushions with a tired sigh.

"All right. So, you two already know we are here for a certain person. More or less, a man." I unconsciously leaned closer, my interest now piqued.

"Go on."

"To be more accurate, a very important faery." Titus met my eyes from across the room, feeling serious and heavy. My own emotions were becoming disquiet now, enhanced by Ryker's caution humming through the mind link.

"So tell us, who would this man be?" I looked at Ryker to see his face set in a calm facade, but I knew it was just a ruse. He felt something was off, just like me. Titus sighed again, raising one hand to run it roughly through his hair.

His eyes never left mine, not even for a second. The violet irises burned with something I wasn't sure I wanted to uncover and I shifted uneasily in my seat, causing Ryker to give me an apprehensive sideways glance. He subtly reached over to grab my hand, lacing our fingers together and bringing it into his lap. Warmth licked where our hands touched and I felt the corners of my lips lift up into a small smile.

"He's your family," Titus said shortly. "Your cousin." My jaw dropped. I expected something, but not this kind of something.

"My cousin?" I asked in disbelief. He nodded.

"Yes. But he isn't your cousin by blood, more like adopted into the royal family." He went on to explain but it didn't really clear up the blurry picture.

"So you're telling me we are here to pick up my cousin? Why?" For some incomprehensible reason, knowing I had a cousin was such a huge shock. I didn't have the faintest clue why, though. I died and met the goddess, for goddess sake. Why should the idea of having a cousin be the one thing to stump me?

"The King simply requested for him," he said simply. But I saw the flash of uncertainty in his violet eyes before it disappeared.

"That overly pasty pasta has no idea why either," Rei said accusingly.

"You don't know why either," I blurted out loud, my eyes narrowing. He only shrugged and looked away.

"We don't need to know why, but all we need to do is get him and take him back with us." Ryker and I shared a look, quizzical.

"Do you think he's telling the truth?" I ask Ryker through our link.

"Probably. He has no reason to lie about this," he answered.

"With that settled, I need to take care of some more business. Hopefully I can leave you all without coming back with the house burned down, I hope?" Titus stood with his eyes directly on me, one brow raised and his eyes flashed a brighter shade of violet. It took me a moment to realize it was humor lighting them up.

"Yes yes. Everything will be A-okay." I rolled my eyes and leaned back, narrowing my eyes at his smirking face. Both Ryker and I watched silently as he strolled out. A couple minutes later we heard the front door shut and close.

"Is it just me, or did Titus actually make a joke?" I frowned in contemplation. Ryker laughed and nodded.

"I believe he did," he said. "I think he's finally loosening up a little, wouldn't you agree?"