Chapter 23: She's My Girlfriend

"Em! I'm sorry you had to leave so early the other night." Joe's voice followed behind me, "You put up a good fight."

I laughed, "Cost me some nice photos."

"I like the color on you. Makes your eyes pop even more. Wanna get a drink?"

"I've had enough, thanks."

"You still not drinking?"

"I'll have a few every now and again but yeah, not too much."

"Good for you. Your boyfriend seems nice." He pointed back to the dance floor where Hunter was dancing with Cassidy and Nicholas.

"My - Oh, Hunter? He's not my boyfriend."

"You sure about that? Cass told me he said so. Well he seems very nice, Em." He stopped and looked at me for a second, "If I must be honest, you worried me the other night and then he just swooped in and looked after you. Don't let this one get away." He left me sitting at the bar.

I looked over at Hunter dancing with my youngest cousins and he looked over at me, calling me over. I laughed and walked over to the three of them.

"Care for a dance, sweetheart?" Nicholas asked.

I laughed and looked at Hunter.

"That had nothing to do with me." He laughed.

I danced with Nick while Hunter danced with Cass. He made her stand on his feet and spun her around, her face lighting up with joy.

"Em! I wanna dance with you!" She sang.

"Well come on then." I picked Cass up and wrapped her legs around me.

"Emilia? You know Stewart?"

"Yes?" I looked into her twinkling eyes

"I like him as much as you like Hunter." Her entire face turned red.

"Well then why are you dancing with me? Go to him."

"You know you just admitted you like Hunter. He told us he's not really your boyfriend."

I looked at Cass, shocked, I wouldn't tell Hunter this. I put Cass back down and she ran towards Stewart.

I was amazed by her bravery because the next thing I knew, little Cass kissed Stewart. His eyes widened in shock and I saw his eyes fill with love.

"He's getting more action than me." Hunter laughed. His warm hand fell on the small of my back and I tensed.

"And she's getting more action than me." I teased and turned to wrap my arms around Hunter's neck.

"Well if we went back - "

"Em." Jake interrupted, I let go of Hunter to turn towards him, Hunter stayed behind me.

"Jake. Didn't know you were invited."

He looked down at Hunter's hands resting on my hips and then back up, "So you two... Umm... Official then?"

"Why does it matter to you?" I was still angry with him.

I felt Hunter's hands tighten on my waist, "She's my girlfriend."