Chapter 10

If you like this story, go like the facebook fanpage for exclusive news, short stories and character descriptions:

https://www.facebook.com/StellaAcademy

Every single limb hurts. Keeping my eyes closed, I try to move, but everything hurts, my arms, legs, stomach and head. My eyelids are too heavy and my throat is sore. I roll over, searching in blindness for Phoenix, but when I find the bed empty, and finally I open my eyes. I can tell it’s light outside because the sun shines through the cracks of the blinds. Classes have begun for the day, and Fred is probably worried about me. I disappeared in the middle of the night as he slept, and didn’t return in time for breakfast and classes. But for once I don’t care about classes, even if I did, I won’t be able to do anything about it. I can hardly move without whining. Using my arms, I push myself up in a sitting position, resting my back against the headboard of Phoenix’s bed. He had been so sweet last night, taking care of me after what Gideon had done. He held me in his arms all night, whispering calming words to me and kissing the top of my head repeatedly until I fell asleep.

I hadn’t really noticed his room last night, but now I notice it. It is kept in very dark and gloomy colors; a lot of black and brown, and with the blinds down, it is even darker. The atmosphere in the room is a little weird, I usually hate being in dark rooms like this; it depresses me a lot, which is why all of my psychiatrists’ offices are kept in bright colors. Usually the dark colors would make me shut up, this is also the reason my mother always went shopping with me, making sure I wouldn’t buy any clothes in dark colors. She had also gone through my closet throwing out every single piece of black clothing I owned. But for some reason it doesn’t bother me as much that Phoenix’s room is so dark, I feel safe in here.

In comparison to my room, this room is quite large. It’s really not fair. I share a room half this size with another girl, and then Phoenix get a room this size all to himself. It looks like he doesn’t know what to do with the space. He doesn’t have a lot of furniture. There’s the king-size bed I’m sitting in at the moment, a desk and a wooden dresser. Other than that the room is empty.

The door creaks, and Phoenix steps in the room, smiling carefully at me, “How are you feeling, Jess?” Closing the door behind him, he moves to the bed, hesitantly sitting down on the edge.

         “My body hurts like hell. But mentally I’m good.” I smile, reaching for his hands. He takes my hands in his, lacing our fingers together.

         “I’m so sorry this had to happen to you. You know, I wasn’t kidding last night about beating up Gideon. He’s had it coming for a while.”

         “Oh God. You didn’t kill him did you?” Phoenix chuckled and shook his head.

         “No. But now he knows not to touch you ever again. I’m protecting you.” Phoenix leans forward trying to kiss me, but I turn away. “What’s wrong?” he asks.

         “What’s going on?”

         “What do you mean?”

         “Stop making a fool of me, Phoenix. What is going on in this house? Why was Gideon ready to kill me last night for being in here? What are you hiding? What did you mean yesterday when you were talking to Gideon about Sky changing and Fred almost beating her to it? Why is Avalon so hurt after a fight with Sky?”

         “I’m really not supposed to tell you. It’s against the rules,” Phoenix began.

         “Here you go again with the freaking rules! Avalon has been yammering about them as well! Just forget the rules and tell me what the hell is going on!” my voice rises to a hoarse yell as I speak.