Epilogue

Epilogue

Elizabeth's POV

It hurt me to leave that forest, to leave behind the mansion that I've called home. As soon as I saw Smile bounding after me, I knew I had to leave. But my need to flee didn't hide the ache in my chest knowing that I can't come back. Ever.

I don't want to hurt them. I don't want to hurt anyone.

...

It started when I visited a bar.

It was about midnight and the place was still open. For the past week, I've gone there to just chill out. Despite the weird looks I get for the eyepatch, I keep going, and take my seat at the counter. I never order any alcohol or beer, even though that's a bar's purpose, but the bartender never seems to mind. He's a kind and understanding man, but not understanding enough for me to share things with him. He asks me about my day, and all I tell him is that it's been "bleh". It's been much more than "bleh".

Today, they're showing a football game so there's more people hanging out by the counter. I'm at the far end, and barely anyone associates themselves with someone sitting at the far end. I drink my water, trying to have some care toward the football game because it's the only thing to focus on in here. I don't have any idea what's going on.

"Hey there," someone spoke up behind me. I craned my head around and saw a fairly built, young man greeting me.

"Can I help you with something?," I muttered.

"Just wanted to know what a fine lady like you is doing in a bar like this," he chimed, "It's not exactly ideal for someone of your charms."

"It's more likely that you've been sitting somewhere behind me so there's no way you could have seen my 'charm'," I deadpanned, trying to deter him away by shooting down his advances.

"Well, maybe I'm talking about a different charm," he purred.

I rolled my eyes, and said, "Well, buddy, you're not getting any of that charm from me, so go." Casually sipping my water, I turned my back to him.

"C'mon," he kept going, showing up on my other side, "you look bored as all hell. Why don't we just have a nice chat?"

"Not interested."

"Oh, not even a little?"

"No."

He managed a chuckle and offered, "Well, how about I buy you a drink?"

"I don't drink alcohol," I muttered into my glass.

"Something non-alcoholic?"

"Water is pretty cheap so you might as well not pay anything."

"I can handle to pay cheap."

"Listen, guy," I grumbled, slamming my water down, "I know you're just trying to score a good night, but you're not going to find it with me. So take your raging hormones somewhere else and go look for another chick to woo over with your charms just to fuck her and be gone. I'm not gonna take any shit from anyone, and if you keep going like this, I'll make sure you don't bounce back into a bar for a good, long while."

"Jesus," he said, "who fucked you up the ass."

"Not you...," I muttered.

"Look, I offered a nice chat, didn't I? What's with you? You taken? Married? Lesbian?"

"Right now would be a good time for you to leave," I hissed, clutching the glass of water in my hand.

"Listen--." He grabbed my arm just above the elbow and that was more than enough...