Chapter 40

Bryn Atkinson's POV

Maybe it was the fact that I knew what happened, how severe everything was. But I couldn't calm myself down, I was hysterical.

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you to step away." The paramedic said, moving me to the side. I looked over his shoulder as I felt my throat tighten, I felt like crying. They said the same to Eliazer, moving him to the side but he wasn't having it.

"Eliazer! Remember that they're trying to help him." I pleaded, grabbing his bicep. Eliazer's eyes were wide as his brows furrowed in worry. "It's okay."

"We're going to need both of you to come with us." The paramedics said, taking out Jared, Aspen, and Alonzo in stretchers as police came striding in. Eliazer was quick to grab my hand while I grabbed his forearm. We were led by government officials, going out the front door where we were met with various authorities and government vehicles, helicopters flying in the air. It was dark out, so I was blinded by the headlights of the cars and trucks.

We walked towards one of the ambulances where we were quickly ushered in. Once they closed the back door, I heard the sirens turn on and the ambulance speed away.

"Isn't there supposed to be someone back here with us?" I said, trying to ease up the mood. Eliazer shrugged, looking at the ceiling.

"Do you think that God exists?" He suddenly asked out of the blue. I was stunned by the question, leaving my mouth agape as I pondered on how to answer.

"Well... I believe there is something or someone powerful. Things happen for a reason." I explained my thoughts. "Maybe there is, maybe there isn't."

"Well, if there is. Why'd you think he'd let this happen?" Eliazer asked, almost as if he was blaming himself.

"The devil has a part in all the cruel things that happen," I said, deep in thought. "You can't blame a person for something they had no control over."

Eliazer said nothing, I'm sure he agreed with my opinion, but still felt horrible.

"Everything's going to be alright," I said, leaning over and placing my hand above him own. He grasped it, running the other through his hair as his lip trembled.

"It's hard loosing someone you've had for a long time." He said with a croaky voice. "Especially someone who was there for you."

I leaned over him, hugging his arm. I felt some tears get away, of course, I didn't want to loose someone either. Someone I dragged into this mess. Eliazer leaned his head over my own, giving me some sort of comfort.

After a couple of minutes, the ambulance came to a halt. The doors opened and the paramedics dragged us quickly into the hospital. I didn't know what was going on, but I didn't care.

~

Eliazer and I sat outside one of the rooms, just waiting. Suddenly, the door opened and a doctor came striding out. An old guy, white hair, and a wrinkly face. He wore glasses, pulling back a little as he looked at the clipboard.

"Well, the good news is that they're both okay." He said, holding on to the clipboard.

"Wait, what about the other guy?" Eliazer asked desperately.

"I'm sorry son, he died from too much blood loss." The doctor said, patting Eliazer's shoulder before walking away. Eliazer's shoulders shook as he turned away from me, facing and leaning on the wall. Of course, I knew why he was crying, he died. But that didn't stop me from grabbing Eliazer's hand and dragging him into the room.