Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Zion's POV

"You okay?" I asked Izzy. He's been so quiet since the incident in the hallway.

"Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I?" He answered. I could feel the sarcasm in his voice. I knew he felt bad that he bumped into Claire, and I was the one who caught her.

I had mixed emotions. I was glad that I saved Claire from getting into a terrible head injury but the thought of being her hero gave me a sudden guilty feeling. I knew Izzy dreamt to be in my shoes at that moment.

I remembered catching her in my arms before she hit the floor. I was surprised that she was so light and how she fitted perfectly in my arms. She clung onto me for seconds, and I just stared at her until she opened her eyes. The fear was visible in her eyes, and it immediately turned to relief. I released her the moment she was steady on the floor and said thank you. Touching her was wrong. I felt like I was tresspassing into someone's property—Izzy's.

"Don't mind him. He'll get over it." Harry tapped my shoulder. "He has to accept that he's not her knight in shining armour. He has to move on. Claire probably likes another guy."

"Who?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know. Maybe Matt Barnes. They suit each other." Harry laughed. Matt Barnes was a nerd in school. One of the smartest. He hung out with Claire most of the time. The thought made me frown with disapproval. Izzy was the opposite of Matt Barnes in some ways. In terms of popularity and looks.

Late afternoon, I was glad that Izzy was finally back to his normal mood.

*One week later

"You can't memorize your lines?" Miss Robinson said irritably. She asked me to meet her in the Theatre Rose Room after class to practice my lines.

"Sorry, miss." I scratched my head. Big beads of sweat ran down from my forehead. "I got tied up with my football practice. We're preparing for our big game against the..."

"That's not an excuse." Miss Robinson snapped at me. "You should have memorized your lines at home. You have enough time. I can see that you're not taking this seriously. You can't graduate high school if you fail your English subject."

"I know, Miss Robinson. Please. I'll do my best to memorize my lines this weekend." I pleaded, giving her my best pitiful look. It worked on Mom, I was hoping that it would work on her, too.

She heaved a sigh then scanned the pages of the script she was holding. "Okay." She agreed and that made me feel so relieved.

After a minute, I realized it was just temporary bliss. She asked me to read my lines as Romeo, and she was so disappointed.

"That's the lousiest Romeo I've ever heard. Romeo is handsome, romantic, smart, gentle and compassionate. You should deliver your lines with passion... feelings... like you are in love."

"I told you I don't know how to act. I can do minor roles. Please."

"Stop doing that puppy eyes of yours, Zion. It won't work on me. Come on, go to the next scene."

I was reading my lines when I heard the door behind me open slowly.

Miss Robinson looked at the person behind me and said. "Finally, there is our Juliet."

I stopped reading and turned around. It was Claire.

***

I never thought Claire would be Juliet. She was not the type who would play the part. She was too shy, fragile, and soft spoken to act on stage. Although she hung out in the English drama class every year, assisting Miss Robinson at the backstage.

"Sorry, Miss Robinson. We were dismissed late in my last subject." Claire sat on a chair opposite to mine. She was avoiding looking at me.

"I guess the class is so noisy again, huh?"

She nodded then finally looked at me. She dropped her eyes before my steady gaze. I just couldn't hold her eyes.

"Claire, Zion will play Romeo. He can't memorize his lines yet, and we're running out of time. I need you to help him with his lines. Teach him how to deliver them with feelings." Miss Robinson said, like I was not there listening to them. Then she shifted her eyes from me to Claire. "You two should practice together after class. Every day until it's perfect. Clear?"

"Yes, miss." Claire and I said simultaneously.

"Both of you do scene 2. Capulet's Garden." Miss Robinson said.

I coughed then cleared my throat. It was very awkward reading the romantic corny lines with Claire who was making shy glances at me. I just wished Izzy was in my shoes. He would be thrilled playing Romeo.

I said my line first. "He jests at scars that never felt a wound. But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east and Juliet is the sun..."

"With feelings!" Miss Robinson almost yelled.

After we did a few scenes, Miss Robinson read her text message and stood up. "My husband is here. You continue the rest of the scenes. I'll go ahead."

"No worries." I assured her.

The moment Miss Robinson left us, an awkward silence filled the room. I stood up and took my backpack on the floor.

"Where are you going?" Claire asked, giving me a surprised look.

"I have to go home. It's my sister's birthday. We have a party at home." I lied.

"Oh. Okay. But we have to practice every day. That's what Miss Robinson said."

"Yeah, sure. We'll meet here every after class." I was so eager to go. This play really sucks, and I had enough of it already.

Claire's POV

Ten minutes more and I'll go.

That was what I said ten minutes ago and the past ten minutes. I was waiting for Zion here in the Theatre Rose Room. We agreed yesterday that we would meet here every day after class to practice for the play.

Where is he? What is taking him so long? I wonder if he's coming or not. Maybe he forgot.

I made up several reasons for him. Trying to make an excuse on his behalf. What is wrong with me?

I get so excited at the thought of meeting Zion every day. I kept on looking at my wristwatch, couldn't wait for my last class to end. I made an effort to look pretty today and sprayed some cologne. I ironed my uniform well and shined my shoes spotless.

And now... there was no sign of Zion.

The following morning, I saw Zion at his locker. I got the courage to talk to him. He was busy pulling out books and not even making a single glance at me.

"I was waiting for you at the Rose Room yesterday. You never showed up."

"Sorry. It's my grandma's birthday. I was supposed to call you, but I don't have your number." Zion said.

"Oh, okay. Do you want my number?" The thought of exchanging phone numbers with Zion really excites me.

"Yeah" He grabbed a pen and opened the last page of his science book. He wrote the number I dictated to him.

"I'll see you later?" I asked before I turned away from him.

"Of course. I'll be there."

***

Ten minutes more and I'll go.

Just like yesterday. I said that ten minutes ago and the past ten minutes. Still, there was no sign of Zion in the Theatre Rose Room. I was waiting for his call. Never leaving my phone out of my sight. I jumped at a beep of a text message or a call. But it wasn't Zion. He ditched me again.

The following day, I waited for him again. Still, he didn't show up. Maybe it's his mom's birthday. I sighed. Another of his lame excuses.