Chapter LXXV: Jacob's Point of View

I fought against the blackness as I hard Annie screaming my name. I pushed myself back up, ripping the leech off of my back. Leah leapt forward and grabbed the other two.

Go! I ignored the pain that was shooting through my body, hoping that I could get to her in time. I jumped through the last of the trees, sprinting towards her. I could hear Seth, I could smell the Cullen, I could sense Bella shouting my name. But I couldn't see anything but Annie's frightened face. Sharp rocks were sticking out of her arm and leg.

I'm sorry Jake; I tried to do the best I could.

It's fine, Seth. I know you couldn't help it.

No matter how mad I wanted to be. Annie was still alive and here with me. I knocked into her with my nose.

"Jake," she moaned. I wanted to apologize her, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't let go until I knew that she was safe. I nudged her again.

Jake, they're not down yet, Seth said as he heard my thoughts. I spun around, looking for anything that could hurt my imprint. I was so tired; I could feel my arms and legs shaking, the exhaustion sweeping through me.

We got all of them, Seth informed me. That was good because I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay standing.

I turned back to my girl and staggered down next to her. I could feel the fear rolling off of her in waves. I reached over and licked a tear away from her face.

"I'm okay, Jake," she promised me. The problem was that I could still smell her blood. The coppery smell was mixed with the saltiness of her tears. I licked her again, trying my best to comfort her but I was in so much pain. I couldn't let her know. She would only worry about me.

"Can you phase back?" No; I can't. Just the thought of phasing sent shivers down my back that hurt like hell.

"Please Jake; you're hurt." I was hurt, she was right about that. I thought about soft human thoughts. I thought about Annie, about the first time that she told me that she loved me without tears in her eyes.

Pain shot through my body, snapping me out of my happy thoughts.

"Please let me help you," I heard. I had to do this for her. She needed to know that I was okay. I ignored the pain, trying not to fade into the blackness ago. I could've been here earlier if I hadn't let it take me before. Who knows how much valuable time I had lost then? The searing got hotter and warmer, but I kept thinking about her. I needed her to be okay. And the only way for me to make sure of that was for me to be human again.

And with that thought, I was lying face to face with her. She didn't look any more relieved. In fact, she looked like she just wanted to cry. I tried to push myself closer to her, but ever bone in my body felt broken, like it was no longer a part of my body. I took me a great deal of time, but I finally had her lying against my chest. She moaned as I pulled her closer, undoubtedly in pain that I couldn't feel. It was masked by my own excruciating fire that as burning me alive.

"I'm so sorry." Her lips tickled my chest. "I didn't want you to get hurt."

I was trying to tell her that there was nothing to apologize for, that I would go through all of this again if it meant that she was safe. The scent of fresh leech, different from Bella's Cullen hit my nose. I rolled, the adrenaline pushing me to ignore the pain and protect what was mine.

"Jacob, both of you are hurt," a quiet voice said. Somewhere, I could recognize the voice and I know that the leech wasn't there to hurt me. But it didn't matter.

Sam phased out, at least he must've.

"She's hurt Jake," he said. I couldn't hear anyone else in my head, but in truth, I was only focused on Annie and the pain. The two fought for control over my brain, control that hurt either way. If I was thinking about her, I felt her pain and fear and worry. And my pain... let's not even begin to talk about it.