Chapter LXXVI: Jacob's Point of View

A man could get used to sleeping next to a beautiful woman and waking up with said woman wrapped up in his arms. Her mouth hung open a little, her eyes peacefully closed as she dreamed away.

"Jake," she whispered in her sleep, tucking herself into my chest like I was her own personal pillow. I would be whatever she wanted so long as she stayed here beside me. Her pink lips tweaked up in a secretive smile, a little dimple in her rosy cheek. God I loved the color in her cheeks. It was a reminder, albeit a simple one, that she was alive. Blood couldn't rush to a dead girl's cheeks.

I brushed her arm a little, watching her wince. I needed to see; I needed to know what had happened to her. I fingered the fraying edges of her gauze bandages, wanting to pul them away and inspect the wounds myself. But a commotion in the entry way by our living room drew my attention away from her.

"It is not a good idea," Dad said.

"He's my best friend and she's my sister." Bella? I growled and pulled Annie closer to my chest. My body ached and protested, but the wolf instincts in me overrode the pain. I needed to protect my mate. I hated the fact that I was protecting her from her own flesh and blood, but I would protect her all the same.

"I'm sorry, Billy."

Dad's brakes on his chair protested, as if they were being forced against the rubber of his wheels. I heard footsteps pounding on the wood and my father shouting the bitch's name. And then she was there in the doorway.

"Jacob," she breathed.

"Leave, Bella," I said rudely.

"Jacob please," she whispered.

"No; never again. I never want to see you again, Bella. You've almost killed your sister more times than I care to admit. And on more than one occasion, I let you hurt her, Bella. But I never want her to go through that again. You will leave my home, my tribe, and my family alone."

"She is not your blood, Jacob; she's not your family."

"You have lost your mind Bella. You will believe anything if you think that it will make you happier. You will tell any lie. And I can't just accept it anymore. Your sister is my family. She is the most important thing in the world to me."

"I wanted you to kiss me, Jacob; doesn't that mean anything? Twice now I've realized that I love you. I do," she pleaded. "That has to mean something."

"It means nothing, Bella. You don't love me. You love the idea of someone who isn't your parasite. You didn't love me for me, you loved me for my differences from him."

"Jake, we are friends. Can't you see that?"

I chuckled harshly. "I see a lot of things, Bella. I see that your sister is strong. I see that she is kind and warm. I see her in ways that you will never see her. And it is a shame that you will never get to see who your sister truly is. Now get out of my house," I bellowed.

Annie started awake, clinging tighter to me and hiding herself in my skin, fear rolling off of her. I hated this. I hated that she woke with fear. I hated that I had caused it. I was going to get her away from this.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to her, stroking her arm and allowing my hand to hover over her wound instead of brushing it.

"I didn't mean to wake you." She peeked her head over my chest to find out who had caused me to shout.

"What are you doing here Bella?" She was still afraid, but it was no longer my fault.

"She's leaving," I growled.

"Please, Jacob, we're friends. We can always be friends."

"Friends don't try to kill each others imprints," I said.