Chapter 17 | Getting Over You

17

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

It's been two days since the parking lot conversation with Miles. I haven't seen him since. He has answered none of my texts or calls and every time I try going to his apartment, he doesn't answer the door. I'm trying to fix the situation, but I don't think he wants to make this work.

I just keep asking myself, What did I do wrong?

He says he did this for my well-being, but how does leaving help? Something must've happened for him to act this way because he was pretty smitten with me the day before. Addy asked Jasper to see if he had any clue why he's having a meltdown, but Jasper doesn't even know because Miles won't see his best friend.

I will figure out everything eventually, whether he likes it.

I'm still hurting. Just when I admit to myself that I have feelings for Miles is when he leaves me. I swear, the world purposely waits until you're happy and comfortable to rip the ground right out from underneath you, not giving you any warning to prepare for the fall. So, you just plummet helplessly, back to the sorrow and misery.

"You still up for going to Jasper's tonight?" Addy shouts through my bedroom door.

"Yep, I'll be done with work around eight-thirty, so that should work."

I hear her cheer from behind the door and it makes me laugh.

Thankfully, performing before Jasper's took my mind off of Miles for a little while. That was until I walked outside of the building and looked into the parking lot. That's when the entire night replayed over in my head.

"Isabella," Lucas whispers, gently tugging on my shoulder. I remove my hands from my wet eyes and fall into his embrace. It startles him for a second, but then he wraps his arms around me and holds me. I don't know what to do, Miles just walked away without a rhyme or reason.

Lucas says nothing else. He just pulls me away from his chest and begins walking us down the sidewalk again.

After a lot of walking, we finally reach my apartment complex. I sniffle my nose and dig my keys out of my purse. Lucas stands there watching aimlessly as silent tears leak out of my eyes.

"Thank you, Lucas. I'm sorry you had to see all of that," I mutter before going inside.

"Don't worry about that, I'm just concerned for you... Will you be alright?"

I force a smile onto my face. "In time."

Lucas has been overwhelmingly kind to me these past couple of days. He reaches out to me, asking if I'm alright each day, but also keeps a respectable distance because he knows I still have feelings for Miles.

I wish I didn't.

"Okay, put this on, then you'll be done," Addy demands, handing me a dark red matte lipstick, which is my favorite.

I apply it graciously and when I'm done, I look at myself in the mirror. My hair is pulled up into a slicked-back ponytail and my skinny jeans look good on me for once. For a girl who has just gotten her heart torn to shreds for the second time this month, I look good.

"The boys are going to jizz their pants when they see you." Addy grins. I whirl my head around and gape at her, letting out a boisterous laugh at her interesting comment.

"That's absolutely disgusting."

She walks up beside me, running her hands over her green blouse to straighten it out. "Bell," she says with concern as she stares at us in the mirror.