8: Quondam

✩°。⋆*❀✿❀✿゚.*・。゚

Dull, gray clouds blocked the warm rays of the sun and instead, emitted a misty sparkle all around. Rhythmic tapping fell down onto the large framed windows that covered the large, white mansion. 'Drip, drip, drop',  it fell down and with each passing 'tick' that the clock gave, the drops would increase.

Inside the library, curled up on a rocking chair with a book on her lap, a young, small maiden could be spotted. Her large brown eyes raced through the pages of the books. It would only be a matter of minutes before she would move on to another book after she had finished with the previous one. Her soft curls bounced around as she vigorously ran across her library to stock up on some more books.

"My mistress, would you not be better off studying and preparing for your upcoming classes instead of reading?" One of the butlers asked the girl, who nodded her head without ever looking up from her book.

"Probably, but I'd rather read. Anyways, this is a form of studying too." She muttered.

Another butler interjected. "You don't want to go out?"

The girl's eyes continued to roam around the book, "No, it's raining. The rain can bring bad luck, I'd rather stay in than risk something bad happening." She shivered as memories flooded around her mind.

"I see. One final question; did you know that Lucy Heartfilia is also going to the same college as you?"

This time, she shut her book and looked up. "I'm aware. I checked the enrolled list. Whether I see her there won't make a difference." The little sparkle that she had in her eyes while she was reading, instantly left. Replacing them, was a glare.

"I'd like to be alone for now. I need to get ready to hang out with a friend." Levy hopped off of her soft chair and headed for her room.

"This is ... no," She shook her head, it's not sad, "It just brings back memories."

❄ ❄ ❄

Levy's POV

"Hey, did you hear?"

"No, what?"

"I heard: that Heartfilia girl caused her friend to die."
"The senior? The one in our art class?"
"Yeah, her."

Stupid freshmen, they don't know anything. Lucy isn't responsible for this.

That's what I had said ... but even then I started doubting. If I had known that back then that it was just the beginning of all the rumors, I might have done something differently.

No one could be blamed for Erza's death, even I knew that.

The day her funeral was held, it was sunny. It was so out of place, I didn't get it. I had expected for a storm or heavy rain, but nothing ever came. The flowers were glowing with life and were placed all around her casket. I couldn't stop crying, I couldn't believe it was really happening. Lucy never showed up. Looking back, I imagine that she had locked herself up in her room and cried all alone. It wasn't a matter of pride, she must have been hurting the most. But I didn't know that, I assumed she was being selfish.

"Hey, Levy," Lucy asked me one day. It was a cloudy day and the sky was reaching its peak, close to raining. Everyone had left campus and Lucy had finished her tennis practice.