Chapter Six

I checked the rearview mirror every few seconds to see if the black Harley was tailing me, but it wasn't. To make sure the asshole wasn't, I ended up driving around the neighbourhood a few times to throw off any trails. I fished out the phone from my pocket after I was certain I had covered up my tracks and saw the missed call from Helen.

At the speed I had been driving around the neighbourhood -making sure to avoid the street Blade lived on- I reached the house not long after and returned the Beetle to the garage in case those idiots drove around searching for the car.

It was completely dark out at this point and I hurried into the empty house dashing up the stairs two at a time. That was close. I hadn't expected those three morons to be back so soon. I could have easily given them the slip if that blonde haired doofus hadn't been outside the door. I should have kicked him in the groin a second time just for being there.

I headed to my bedroom and opened the door and it slammed behind me, and I flicked the lights on. The evening hadn't gone to plan. I crossed the space over to the bed and flung myself onto it scowling.

I was so fricking close to getting the payback I had been envisioning all day.

It took a couple minutes of grouchiness before I noticed the door was repaired. I sat up in bed eyeing the pale peach coloured bedroom from wall to wall, nothing was missing - well nothing that was obvious anyways. Everything looked to be in place so that meant the old perverted hairy bastard didn't rummage around going through my stuff and discovered anything highly incriminating.

The mac and cheese from earlier was slowly beginning to cause my stomach to turn. The front door downstairs opened and Victor's voice came booming up the stairs and a minute later Helen's voice joined his.

"Adam?! Secret?!" she calls and I scoffed.

I pulled the earphones from my pocket and stuffed the ear buds into my ear before scrolling through the endless list of songs on my cellphone. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody came blasting through the ear buds in my ears and I hummed along long enough before my eyes closed and I fell asleep.

👑

The starting of an engine was enough to awake me from my slumber. I opened my eyes feeling just as groggy as I had before I had drifted off to sleep. I had slept across the bed and I was still fully dressed in the jeans, jacket and boots I had been wearing the day before. A bit of music flowed from the ear buds and I picked the cellphone up and pushed the power key. It was already 7:40 AM. I had slept through the alarm and Helen hadn't come to wake me, leaving me with under an hour and twenty minutes to get to John Wickerman High. My first day at a new school and I was already going to be late.

Great. Just great.

The little battery symbol at the top right hand corner of the cell phone screen flashed eight percent. I had fallen asleep with the music playing and awakened to an almost dead battery. I pulled my tired limp body from the bed and stretched lazily, yawning. Outside was already buzzing as the neighbours were getting ready for work like the model citizens they were. I opened the window curtains, and early morning light flooded the room causing me to squint from all the light. The curtains at the window in Emmett's room was widely open exposing the scantily furnished messy bedroom of the teenage boy.

He was pacing around his room and I looked down at the cell phone that was still in my grasps. With this low battery percentage the stupid thing wouldn't allow me to use the camera. Emmett eyes flickered over his shoulder sensing he was being watched just as my eyes flickered from the cellphone back to his room. From what I could see of him, he was wearing only a pair of black basket ball shorts that were hanging a bit too low. Even with bed hair, he was still sexy.