Chapter 2

Luke's POV

Exhausted and basically not bothered to get up on a Monday morning is an understatement. I tried to pull the 'I have a headache and I think I'm sick' technique to my mum, but she knows I've done that way too many times. Nevertheless, I have no choice but to go to school and make the most of my senior year.

After dragging myself out of my bed and into the bathroom, I change into my black skinny ripped jeans, black shirt and my red flannel - Nothing new. I quickly style up my blonde hair into a quiff before running down the stairs. I find my mum sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee in her hand and she looks up at me as I grab her car keys from the table in front of her.

"Have a good day at school, sweetie. Love you!"

I quickly slip on my black converse shoes and swiftly open the front door with my mum's keys dangling from my fingers. "Okay thanks, mum, bye!" I yell before I step out onto the porch and close the door.

Just when I'm about to lock the door, I groan and sigh before opening the front door again. I poke my head in and my mum looks at me bemused.

"Love you, mum." I smile and close the door once again, making sure that I didn't leave anything behind.

--

I park the car somewhere outside the school and that's when I knew I was already late. There were no kids talking, yelling or even fighting - surprisingly. Usually, students at my school sound like a bunch of animals from the jungle that tries to survive the hell hole.

I then power walk to my locker, huffing as I notice how late I really am. Reaching my locker, I put in my lock combination and abruptly fly it open to find the books for the first and second period. Once I get them out I slam my locker door shut, locking it and then bolting down the hall. As I turn the corner, I collide with a body which causes them to fall onto the floor along with the books they were holding.

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry!" I apologise frantically before quickly bending down to gather the person's belongings, who I assume was a girl because of her long brown hair that covered her face as she fell. I hold onto her books and help her stand up to her feet. I still couldn't recognise her as her head was hanging low.

I hear the bell ring to indicate that we have to head to our first class. Shaking my head, I thought about Ms Hilary hating me even more for being late to homeroom for four days in a row.

"Thank you," the girl replies, a familiar voice filling my ears. Shyly, she finally looks up at me and my eyes widen at the sight.

Katie Rachel.

She seems to be shocked as well as she begins to open her mouth to say something but then closes it. She squints her eyes to examine my face. "You're Luke..."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, "Hemmings. Uh, why haven't I... seen you around here?"

The fact that she's standing right in front of me is enough to make me nervous and distracted at the same time. There are students staring at us while they walk past - mostly girls, and Katie looks down and fiddles with her fingers. I sometimes glare at the guys who walk past us with smirks on their faces while doing inappropriate hand gestures. I then look back to Katie and start to observe her. She's wearing a black All Time Low tank top, denim skinny jeans and black combat boots.

She notices me scanning her outfit and sheepishly crosses her arms over her chest. "I actually just started at this school today," she explains and glances down at her books that I am still holding beside me.

"Oh." I look down at her books and lift up my arm to hand them back to her. She holds them with both hands and held it tightly to her chest.

"What a small world." I chuckle and rub the back of my neck nervously before using both my hands to smoothen my shirt. "It looked like you couldn't recognise me at first."