Part 17: Masquerade Hell

Hey everyone! Another chapter woohoo! I'd love to hear what you think so go ahead and comment! Also, don't forget to vote!!

Be sure to check out my instagram!
I post updates from my books, books I'm currently reading, pics of my dogs and news of updates!
Name:
shortycharlotte.wattpad

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I think I looked alright; I'd curled my hair and pinned the back but still had come curls framing my face, my eyes were gold to match my slip dress that cut low enough to be flirty but not so low to be skanky. My plum clutch matched my strappy heels that tied up my ankles and up my calf.

Mel and I had found a mask at an antique store in the city when we went shopping the other day for our dresses. It was intricately decorated with tiny flowers and swirling leaves in gold. The eye holes had a feline style to them and when I pulled out my dress to compare the golds it matched perfectly so I knew it was fate, or at least a lucky chance.

I took a deep breath before picking up my mask and tucking my phone into my bag.

Mason was lounging on the couch reading a book when I walked out.

"You know my number if you need anything." I said, looking up at him while tying my mask around the back.

He pulled the book down from his face and his eyes widened for a moment before going back to his blank indifferent expression.

"Yeah cool, but why would I need to call you?" he asked, returning to his reading.

"I don't know, if the apartment burns down... actually if that happens, don't call me."

A knock on the door broke the awkward silence between us and I rushed to get it. When I opened, Mel and Lucas were laughing at some previous joke while Cameron's face was stone and cold.

"Hey guys," I nodded. "You ready to go?" Mel reached forward and grabbed my arm, slipping hers in mine and pulling me towards the stairs leaving the door to slam shut behind me.

"Did you see Lucas's face when he saw you?" she whispered in my ear when we were far enough from the boys.

A small smile broke out on my face and we giggled with each other.

Mel and Cameron were matching and it was completely and utterly adorable. Cameron's black tux with red bow tie made him look dashing, and matched perfectly with Mel's full length red dress with a slit up the side.

Her hair was pulled back into a slick straight ponytail which drew attention to her gold hoop earrings. Her red lace mask highlighted her cheekbones, making her look even more sultry than usual.

Lucas looked flash in his black tux and tie. His matte black mask curved up towards the left and down towards the right and no doubt would sharpen his strong jaw.

Neither boys were wearing their masks unlike us girls who couldn't wait to put them on.

Lucas drove us to the location in his car and we were all excited to get out and start dancing. Cameron even cracked a small smile when we reached the hall.

Cam and Mel walked arm in arm, with Lucas and myself mimicking them from behind.

I gazed all around the room at the black and white decorations. Black chairs with big white bows sat around the circle tables that had different height candles in the centre illuminating each table in a glow.

Everyone looked stunning, and it was hard to recognise some but also very easy with others.

The boys went off to find our table while Mel and I made our way to the bar.

"Mel, what's up with Cameron?" I asked her when we both had a glass of champagne in our hands.

"I don't know," she said, taking a sip from her glass. "He's been like this ever since Lucas turned up at ours."

We nodded and tapped our toes to the music and laughed at the people dancing on the dance floor.

This whole Cameron-Mason-Lucas thing is weird, and in a way it's starting to concern me more and more since both of these guys don't want me to be near him.

"Feel like a dance?" Lucas came up behind me, placing his hands gently on my waist and whispering into my ear. A shiver ran down my spine and I nodded, not being able to actually say anything.

I shoved my glass of champagne at Mel and she snorted as I pulled Lucas towards the dance floor. He too had a glass of champagne which he downed in one go and left on the bar table before letting me drag him.

Just as we got there, the music turned slower and the lights dimmed slightly.

I placed my hands around his neck and his snaked their way to my waist as we swayed to Can't Help Falling in Love.

"You look stunning tonight, Ashley." He said, reaching to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. Because of my heels, I was almost at eye level with him. That's the one thing I loved about heels; despite the pain, they actually make you look reasonable height.

"You scrub up nicely as well." I said with a laugh.

His smile illuminated his face, but even with his smile his mask gave his eyes a dark sinister appearance.

We swayed back and forth, talking about how beautiful everyone and the place looked. We stayed this way for the next two songs before a hand clamped down on Lucas's shoulder.

"Mind if I steal this dance?" Cameron's stoic expression and question - that was much more of a statement - worried me.

Lucas gestured from him to me, before smiling over at Mel and pulling her to the dance floor.

Cameron's hand sat in my hip while I brought mine to his shoulder and our hands were intertwined in the air.

"What are you doing?" He asked, in the not so friendly voice I'm used to.

"What do you mean, this is how you dance right?" I said, looking down at our shoes.

"No, I mean here, with Lucas." He jabbed his head to the side and my eyes trailed to Mel and Lucas laughing and dancing.

"Well, he asked me and I wanted to go-"

"Have you forgotten everything Mason and I told you about staying away from him?"

"No, actually I haven't forgotten but you know what, you two haven't given me much to go off so it's a bit hard to do that." I snarked, I hated arguing with Cam because he was so sweet but bloody hell if these two don't tell me what's going on I was gonna burst!

"He's dangerous, that's all you need to know." At that moment the music picked up and everyone started dancing to the beat.

Mel and I caught each other's gazes and we both knew what that meant: drinks.

We excused ourselves from our dance partners and made our way over to our table where our bags were already set, holding our places.

"Okay, I know you know more than I do, but what has got Mason so worked up about Lucas." Mel coughed into her drink and brought it back down to the table, avoiding my gaze.

"Mel, tell me now." I begged her, putting my hand on hers that was resting on the table.

She looked at me, guilt clear in her eyes and took a deep breath to prepare herself.

"You can't tell Mason or Cam I told you." She gave me a grave look and I felt my eyes widen in response. I nodded slowly. "Lucas was seeing-" she was cut off by the DJ lowering the music and making an announcement.

"If everyone could make their way over to their tables, dinner is about to be served." Cameron came over and put his hand on Mel's shoulder, rubbing circles as he slid his chair from under the table.

"I'll get you another drink when the waiter comes over?" Asked Lucas and I couldn't speak, only smile a tight fake grin and nodding once.

The four of us didn't speak a word as our entrées were brought over, nor did we speak for much of the main, other than to ask to pass the salt.

So, the night of enjoyment I'd expected was turning out to be a night of hell.