b. five

It was the first time that Remus has came with her to Kings Cross.

They arrived earlier than anticipated, and Sawyer went to get herself a comparment, charming it quickly so no one would bother her (it was quite a relief, each year, to board the Hogwarts Express, ending the two months of the horror of not using magic), and covering herself with a blanket.

Meeko curled up next to her, and soon, the two were fast asleep, not bothered by anyone thanks to the spell.

It was completely peaceful; no, it was serene, until the train slowed down, and Sawyer found herself on the floor, her nose aching.

Meeko meowed in dis-content, looking as confused as Sawyer felt as she stood up, getting rid of the spell and opening the door, reckoning they've gotten to Hogwarts. It was a wonder that the two managed to sleep with the loud thunders and the loud splatter of rain against the train's windows.

They stopped in the middle of nowhere, Sawyer realized.

That made zero sense; in all of the four years she's been to Hogwarts, the train's never stopped before in the middle of the journey. So, alerted, Sawyer took out her wand, as heads peeked out from the comparments, watching her as she seemed anxious.

Without warning, all lights went out and they were plunged into complete darkness.

"Lumos," Sawyer's voice firmly spoke, but to no avail, as the light wouldn't light up in the end of her wand. With ease, Sawyer lit up the Bluebell Flames, sharp eyes watching.

"Hey, any idea what's going on?" A boy asked, walking up to her. He had the symbol of Hufflepuff on his robe and a yellow-and-black tie, as well as a Prefect badge.

"Something bad," she told him seriously, making him nod lightly, smiling a tense smile.

"Hey, I- I think someone is boarding the train!" A girl called out, and the two turned turned stiffly to watch one of the entrances to the train, and indeed, moments later, the doors slid open, and into it glided a hooded figure.

Sawyer's stomach turned as she realized what the figure were; "Dementors."

"Oh, bloody hell, I─ we were supposed to learn about it last year but with Lockhart, we never got around to it," the Prefect said. "I've no clue about how to use a Patronus."

"Yeah, well, let's hope for the best," she gave him a stiff smile to the horrified looking boy. Clod sweat was dripping down his forehead, and he took back a step, looking like he was about to piss his trousers.

Sawyer couldn't feel the cold that seeped into the souls of every human around her, and she didn't feel the fear twisting its way in her brain. If anything, it seemed like the Dementor was scared of her, even more so once Meeko's joined her.

His rattling breath filled the silence, and even the most foul of creatures knew that Sawyer was someone, a force, to be reckoned.

She stood her ground, back straight, as she stared at where the blind creatures' eyes would've been.

"If you're looking for Sirius Black," she spoke with venom layering her voice, the creature drawing near at the mention of the man's name, "he's not here."

Raising a scabbed, grey, slimy hand towards her, Sawyer grew annoyed.

"Begone."

With another rattled breath, the dementor turned around, gliding away.

"Foul creature," she cringed. He looked disgusting.

::

"Ace!" Sawyer called in glee as she left the train, catching glimpse of the carriage pulled by a particular Thestral. She was the one to name said Thestral at her first year at Hogwarts, as he was born in front of her. His mother's labour was complicated and Hagrid had to help, and she there with him when all went down.

The bony horse-like creature turned to her, pupil-less whit eyes seizing for only a moment before he sauntered towards her in glee, and she patted his bony, dragon-like head.

"You've got a pet Thestral?" Remus wondered as he walked up to her.

"I was there when little Ace here was born," she grinned up to the man, brushing the black mane with her fingers. "He's my friend, like Agambir, right?" The Thestral seemed upset at the mention of the werewolf, but she didn't mind, still stroking his dark mane.

"Let's get going, okay?" Remus asked, and stopped himself from cringing as Sawyer kissed the Therstral's head like he was not a death-associated creature (he had to remind himself Sawyer thought the same of herself these days), and moreover, a creature living in a forest.

"Come on," the two climbed into the coach,  Meeko already peacefully curled in  it.

"Were you okay with the whole dementors situation?" Remus wondered in slight worry. Sawyer didn't seem affected, but he knew she had quite a lot of bad memories, mostly of other's death, but it was bad enough.

"Better than okay, actually," Sawyer shrugged. "It's the weirdest thing, their presence didn't affect me in the slightest, if anything, they seemed scared of me."

"Again with that illogical blabber?"

"I'm saying the truth here, Remus, I swear. The Dementor scurried off when I told him to."

"Sawyer, the next time you mention anything that might even hint that you're Death or whatever, I'm kicking you out my house."

Raising her eyebrows, the challenge in her twinkling eyes was clear.

"I'm Death."

"Just shut up already."

::

Sawyer couldn't sleep.

Maybe because of the nap she's taken for most of the day, but her eyes wouldn't shut, the wind hissing something she couldn't make out.

Casting an Invisibility Spell on herself, Sawyer left the dorms (after quickly changing to her robes, in case of getting too late back), Meeko trailing right after her. Her feet led her out of the castle, into the cold frosty air, but that didn't bother her as she walked through the grounds.

"Lumos," she spoke hoarsely, walking swiftly, Meeko not even a step behind, and there was no fear or hesitation as they entered into the Forbidden Forest, deeper, and deeper, and deeper.

Meeko was supposed to be the one leading, since he knew where the pack is residing, but it seemed Sawyer knew just as good where they were.

In less than twenty minutes, Sawyer stood in frnt of Agambir, bowing her head in respect. Returning the gesture, the two sat down, with Meeko curling in Sawyer's lap. The two weren't bothered by the fact that they were soaking wet from the rain.

In complete silent, as all but Agambir and the two slept, they sat together, until Agambir walked off, the two following without hesitation.

He stopped in front of a relatively small tree, one of its kind, with some cream colored flowers and red berries scattered around. Agambir stood on his back legs, snapping a branch from the tree and giving it to Sawyer. Confused, yet thankful, she nooded, smiling.

"Thanks Agambir."

He bowed his  head, and suddenly, Sawyer felt like there was no longer any need for her to be awake. Casting again the Invisibility Spell, she disappeared from view.

And her mind screamed at her; Tomrrow, Library, again and again and again.

So she agreed to the nagging voice, not sure what was the connection between the tree and the library, but not caring enough to think it through.

She climbed up to the Gryffindor Tower in slumped sleepiness, mumbling "Fortuna Major" to the Fat Lady, and slowly making her way up the stairs back to her dorm.

It took her only a few minutes to fall asleep, still wearing the wet clothes.