Chapter Ten: Black Really Isn't My Color

||Lucas||

*Three Weeks Later*

I stood up front next to Tanya, clad in a black suit.

"Thank you again Lucas. For this. For making my baby's last few months amazing. I know she loved you." Tanya wrapped her small frame around me, holding back sobs.

I stood still next to her as people came up to us, mainly her, and lent us their condolences. I didn't respond to any of them, just short, curt nods. If they were really sorry, they would have been there before she was gone.

Soon, the pastor came up and we all took our seats.

"It's such a sorrow, to lose someone so young." I tuned him out, along with others who went up with their speeches.

"Lucas? It's your turn." Tanya nudged me and I stood up, making, my way to the podium.

"I loved Raelynn. I mean, I love her. She meant the world to me. I'll never forget the first time I saw her. She looked beautiful. She always looked so damn beautiful." I took a deep breath and unfolded the rest of the paper.

"She didn't tell me. I had no clue until it was too late. I didn't know until I found her sleeping on the couch with a bunch of searches. I never thought I would have to write a eulogy for her. I was certain I would die first. We had plans, you know? We were going to travel. Maybe not the world, but the country. We were going to get married, we were supposed to have kids. We didn't get any of that. We never will." I looked around, my eyes landing on her mother, seeing the tears that never end.

"Lynn was my sun. She was my medicine. She was my laughter. She was mine. I didn't care if everyone thought she was strange, I didn't care if she thought she was weird. I didn't care that she would wake me up at random times in the middle of the night, begging me to grab us ice cream. I didn't care that when she sang, it was always slightly off key. I didn't care about any of that." I shook my head, not knowing if I could finish this. I closed my eyes and took another deep breath.

"She's gone now. That pains me. She wasn't meant to die. She shouldn't be laying in this coffin. She should be at home, throwing random food at the t.v.. She should be at her studio, painting another masterpiece. She should be here, in my arms, letting me show her all the love I have. But she's not, and I hate it. She's never coming back. And I'll never be the same." I opened my eyes and took a final glance at the small crowd.

I love you Lynn.

***

I watched as the last two people walked out, getting into their cars.

"Before you guys take her, can I have one more minute?" I asked the people who came to move her. They nodded and walked back out as I turned to face the casket.

"Raelynn, you mean everything to me, and I'm sorry I didn't get to do this while you were alive." I pulled the black box out of my suit pocket and opened it open, gazing at the diamond inside. I pulled it out and tucked it underneath her hands that were folded together.

"I really hope you say yes, otherwise this is super awkward." I smiled softly, and walked out.

"You can take her now." I left the building. I wasn't going to the casket lowering. I couldn't.

I didn't bother shielding myself from the pouring rain, and eventually made it to my car.

I pulled out of the parking lot, memories flooding my mind.

I heard a loud thump and looked to the living room to see Lynn rolled up in her blanket on the floor. I held back a laugh and shut off the burners. I placed the pancakes and bacon on a plate before carrying it out to her, along with the syrup. I poured a glass of orange juice and placed that on the table as well.

"While you wipe away the drool and get up, I'm going to change." I let out a deep chuckle as she glared at me.

***
"Lucas? Why are you such a troll?" Lynn asked, throwing a donut and it landed on my shirt.

"Pretty sure I'm a god, but nice try." I smirked as she rolled her eyes.

"Whatever." She mumbled, looking back to the t.v.

"Thanks beautiful."

***
We laid side by side, not talking, just watching the movie.

"What would I do without you?" I mumbled.

"You'd be lost!" She giggled, I hadn't realized that she had heard me.

"Probably." I admitted.

"Honestly, I probably would be too, I'm amazing." I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Geez, thanks." I said sarcastically.

"You're welcome." She said with a wink, ending up in a fit of giggles.
***
"I love you," She paused, looking at the canvas sat in front of her, "Should I make this car red, or blue?" She peered over her shoulder with a questioning gaze.

"Say cheese. Um, blue." She smiled and I snapped the photo.

"Red it is."

"Oh, and Lynn? I love you too."

***

I came back to reality just as a loud horn beeped at me. Just before I could move a large vehicle slammed into the side of my jeep, causing me to swerve off into a ditch and slam my head against the steering wheel.

I didn't have time to process a single thing before my world turned black.

***
And that's a wrap!
Don't murder me! As I said before, there is no sequel or epilogue. This is the end of Neighbors and Benefits! I hope you guys enjoyed this short journey of Lucas and Raelynn.
I really am sorry that this is how it had to end. Sorry!

Until the next,
Lizza

|Edited|