Shyly Said

Prompt #30, "I can't compete with her/him. I won't even try. Because I shouldn't have to fight another girl/guy to win your love. I want you to want it."

This was a request from @realKrampus , hope you enjoy! It will have female pronouns, by her appeal.

Please read the author's note at the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sunlight cast rainbows over your face as you sat by the window. Warmth radiated over your body from the crisp New York air, pushing you into a place filled with easiness and gentle rays of sun. You pushed a piece of hair out of your face and lazily opened your eyes, revealing the desk you were sitting at and the cluttered journal you were writing in.

"(Y/N), honey! You've been working all day! Why don't you take a break?" A bubbly voice called out from behind you. You swiveled in your chair to see the lovely face of Queenie Goldstein, your best friend and roommate.

"I've got to finish this before the week's over, Queenie," you sighed timidly, twisting back to face your desk.

"But I've got people coming over!" She pouted, placing her hands on your shoulders. You jolted, your quill making an angry streak across the page.

You sighed. "This spell won't finish itself, Queenie."

"Of course it won't... unless you invented a spell that wrote new spells for you," she giggled. You sighed.

"Excuse me, Queenie, but I'm trying to achieve a breakthrough in magical studies!" You muttered, your cheeks burning due to your shy nature. You were highly interested in spells- namely, the production of new ones- and you were trying to make your way in the magical community with a new spell of your own invention.

"That was a lot of fancy words you just said there," Queenie remarked with an innocent grin on her face.

"Yes, it was, Queenie," you huffed, returning to your notebook. There was a sudden gasp from your friend.

Queenie squealed, "I know what will get you to come! Gosh, I can't believe I didn't tell you this! Newt's coming over!"

You slammed your quill on the desk. "Merlin's beard, when will you stop teasing me about him?" You cried.

"I'm not teasing you! He's actually coming!" Queenie looked offended.

"And what makes you think I'd stop working for him?" You said proudly.

" 'Cause you asked him out last week," Queenie replied simply. You choked on your own spit.

"How do you know that?" You gasped, horrified, and stood up from your desk to have a full conversation with your sneaky friend.

"I read his mind, silly! Don't worry, I'd never embarrass you like that-"

"Sure you wouldn't," you sighed miserably, sinking down into the chair. "Look, we went out for a meal a few times, that's it! I don't even think he likes me much now, so it's not really worth getting excited over."

Queenie looked at you pitifully, an expression that said, I'm reading your mind and I can tell you're not okay.

Glancing at your notebook, you realized that a break would do you some good. You'd been working so hard, dabbling in almost every field of magical studies to complete your spell, and you were stumped on what to do next. It was like writer's block, you decided, and as everyone knew, the best cure for writer's block was to find inspiration. Maybe you'd find it in your friends. Besides, it would take your mind off of your "relationship problems."