Chapter 49

"Hello, class. I am your new Dark Arts professor." Amycus Carrow announced at the front of the class, smiling maliciously. Some of the students broke out into a soft mutter, one particularly brave Ravenclaw raising their hand up above their head.

"Professor, isn't it Defense Against the Dark Arts?" He asked curiously, eyebrows furrowed. Amycus pursed his lips before he flicked his wand. I cringed with the rest of the class when a bright red gash appeared across the Ravenclaw's face. He let out a loud cry, clutching at his face.

"You will not speak unless first spoken too." Amycus said pleasantly, smiling as he leant back against his desk. Hesitantly the Ravenclaw's table partner raised her hand, biting her lip as she waited to be called on. Amycus waited a few seconds, fiddling with the handle on his wand before he looked up, eyebrows raised.

"Did you need something?"

"Can I take Michael to the Infirmary?" She asked carefully. Her eyes widened in fear when Amycus laughed.

"It's his fault he got that scratch, now he's gonna deal with it like a big boy." Amycus stuck his bottom lip out mockingly. The girl gave a jerky nod, dropping her hand back into her lap, eyes remaining on the books that sat in front of her. Michael meanwhile had his eyes tightly shut, hand pressed against the wound. I could see the blood seeping from between his fingers.

"Do I have any more questions?" Amycus asked carefully, eyebrows raised. The class remained silent. I could feel Neville tense beside me, and timidly I reached over, grabbing his hand and squeezing it comfortingly. He squeezed back before pulling away, turning back to his book with a forced look of concentration. I mimicked his actions, blocking out Amycus's lecture on the usefulness of the Dark Arts, and how important and wonderful they are. I feared if I actually paid attention I would become sick from the pure joy he spoke about them with.

"Miss Longbottom, tell me. What are the three unforgivable curses, according to the Ministry?" Amycus's voice inquired. Quickly I snapped out of my daydreams, glancing up with wide eyes.

"Um- Uh, the imperius curse." I said quickly, straightening my shoulders and trying to look like I had been paying attention. "The cruciatus curse, and the killing curse. Sir."

"And what are the uses of these curses, Miss Longbottom?"

"The killing curse.. kills." I stated first, shifting uncomfortably. "The cruciatus curse tortures those under it, while the imperius allows you to control someone."

"Good." Amycus nodded, hands behind his back as he paced in front of his desk. "I am aware most of you covered these spells in your fourth year, but I saw fit to start the year off with them anyway. May I have a volunteer?"

The class grew very, very quiet.

"No volunteers?" Amycus asked, eyebrows raised. "Very well. Mr. Longbottom, if you'd step up please?"

A soft sound of protest escaped my throat as Neville moved to stand up. Almost protectively I reached out, grabbing his hand in an attempt to get him to sit back down, but I had to let go when Amycus let out a pointed cough. Neville walked stiffly to the front of the class, body tense with anticipation.

"I am going to be demonstrating the imperius curse on Mr. Longbottom today." Amycus flicked his wand silently at Neville, and for a moment I thought nothing had happen. But then Neville collapsed to the ground, writhing silently.

"What are you doing?" I cried, leaning over my desk. Choked sound's were leaving my friend's throat, and panic had sent any rational thought out of my mind.

"You will raise your hand if you wish to speak." Amycus snapped, looking up at me sharply. "Now sit down and watch."

I did so silently, keeping my hand clasped over my mouth to muffle any protest that might escape without my knowledge. Neville had stopped writhing now, but I couldn't tell if it was because he was in control again or if the imperius curse had made him.