Chapter 31: Impacts

Hey everyone - sorry for the long hiatus. As many of you know I've simply been overwhelmed with everything going on which included moving my grandparents across the country to live out here with us. I've also begun to manage some of their finances, and have had to address a number of other things that have come up on various fronts. Honestly I sometimes can't believe just how much I actually got done last year. lol

Anyway - I'm trying to get back into the writing swing so I can get this story completed. I do know exactly where I'm going with it - I simply haven't had time or energy to write to the point where I've quite literally fallen asleep at the computer on more than occasion. Anywho - here's the next installment. Enjoy!

*********************

Eogan studied the young man in front of him, taking in the height and grey eyes that he shared with his sister, though that was where the similarity ended. Where Lucienne was curvy and seemed to project a solid presence, Keith had taken on more of his Unsleir heritage being slender and fine boned with a softer sensibility about him. Even his shoulder length hair was very pale, looking closer to Eogan's own silver-white rather than Lucienne's honey gold.

"It's good to see you, grandson," Eogan finally spoke, breaking the silence.

The young man's lips twisted slightly before he replied, "Wish I could have heard that about ten years ago."

"I apologize for not tracking both you and your sister more closely. I know I failed you both, and I can only try to fix things moving forward. I want you to know that I did leave trusted people in place to help you. I haven't yet found out what happened to them, finding you and your sisters was a higher priority, but you weren't supposed to be alone."

Keith snorted, "Yeah, we never heard from anyone. I know Luce's pretty much forgiven you, but I don't know if she'd have been so quick if she knew the real reason why you forgot about us. I admit Klieara was a hot piece of ass, but we're your blood, oh great clan leader."

Eogan's eyes flashed blue before he calmed himself, taking a deep breath. "You will not disrespect her again," he replied, a cold note to his voice. "The failing was mine, not hers, and you should only hope that you are never in such a bad state as to need her help. If I ever hear her name from your lips without proper deference again, you will not find me so forgiving."

Keith nodded in acknowledgment and Eogan noticed a brief flash of respect shift across his grandson's face. With that, several pieces suddenly fell into place and Eogan almost laughed aloud when he realized Keith had been testing him. Well at least in part. He's still angry and he's enjoying getting some revenge out of this, he thought to himself, carefully considering Keith's reactions so far.

"Clearly your vision is clearer than most, grandson," Eogan continued smoothly, lifting his eyebrow in an unspoken query for more information. After all, there was only one way his great great grandson could have known so much about Klieara.

Keith's lips tightened in anger before he gave a sharp nod, refusing to comment. As far as Keith was concerned, Eogan didn't deserve for this conversation to be easy, and he had no intention of making any of this any smoother than necessary.

Eogan shook his head slightly, noting both the reaction and his grandson's quick suppression of his emotions. "You have too much anger in you and it wasn't all of my doing. You must let it go, or it will rule you and your abilities."

Keith snorted, "Yeah, abandonment and dead siblings do that. It's worse when you know they're going to die before it happens and they won't listen to you," he spat out, and then clamped his lips shut again, clearly having said more than he intended.