Chapter 12

(The kitchen at Mooreland Park is pictured above.)

"What exactly are the two of you working on?" Daniel asked as he entered the kitchen of Mooreland Park.

"Pastries for the patients!" Matilda responds.

"The patients? Dr. Matilda, I didn't realize you had gone to university."

"Not my patients father, Miss Emmy's."

"Ah, and why are you two making pastries for the patients?" Daniel asks, more to Emmeline than to Matilda.

"The local church collects supplies to bake bread for those who are too ill and cannot afford care. Since I deal directly with the patients in need, I bake the bread. I know their dietary restrictions. The church provided all the funds for it so none of your resources are being wasted sir."

"That is of little concern, a few loaves of bread won't put this place in financial ruin. I shan't hold you any longer. Miss Somers, before you leave can you meet me in my study? There is something I need to discuss with you."

"Of course my lord."

"Good luck with you endeavors, Matty tell me if Miss Emmy gets out of line." Daniel says, ruffling her hair.

"Yes father." Daniel nods before returning upstairs.

"Now Matilda are you ready for the fun part?" Emmeline asks.

"Yes!"

"Remember how you were taught to not hit and punch?"

"Yes Miss Emmy."

"Well it doesn't count for bread. We need to punch this bread with all of our might. Do you think you can do that?"

"Will father be mad at me for that?"

"No, you see punching the bread is a good thing. It helps make it strong. But we must act quickly." Matilda gingerly begins to punch the bread, with Emmeline punching it with a bit more strength.

"Like this?"

"Yes you are doing it perfectly. The patients are going to love this bread when I deliver it to them tomorrow."

"Will you tell them I helped you make it?"

"Of course, now lets move the dough into the pans. I believe it is time to put them in the oven." Emmeline swiftly begins loading the dough into the pans and placing them in the oven. "And now it is time for us to say goodbye. May I help you get ready for your nap?"

"Yes Miss Emmy." The pair walks up the stairs to Matilda's chamber where Emmeline removes her apron and helps her into an older shift dress.

"I will see you next week, friend." Emmeline says as she tucks her in.

"Goodbye Miss Emmy." Emmeline closes the curtains of the room and leaves. She walks swiftly to Daniel's study, praying that the loaves won't burn in her absence.

"Come in Miss Somers." Daniel's voice calls after Emmeline rapped on the door.

"You wished to speak to me?" Emmeline says, hesitantly entering the room. He is seated at his desk, reading over a ledger.

"Yes, it is regarding Matilda as you would expect." He says, never looking up. Emmeline waits for a few moments for him to say more, he doesn't.

"Is anything wrong sir? I am sorry about the baking today. I assure you it will not happen again. I just have to make several house calls this week and I didn't have time to make them yesterday." Emmeline says quickly.

"You are fine Miss Somers," Daniel says, looking up at her, his tone clinical. "I do not understand why you always assume I am annoyed with what you do. You are teaching Matilda invaluable skills. In fact," He says as he rises from his leatherback chair and returns the ledger to the shelf, "that is why I asked to meet with you. In two weeks weeks I must return to London for a week or so on business but I do not wish for Matilda to have to transition again so I was wondering if you might look after her. I understand you have your shop to run, and you could keep Matilda there if you wish. I of course would pay for your services. You are one of the few people she trusts right now and I think she would quite enjoy it."