Dear, there's a hole in your sock

Unedited.

(Don't kill me)

My life was going smoothly this past week.

A little too smoothly. My mate still hadn't come for me and if I was honest,  I was a little disappointed.

Jack didn't say anything about it,he observed me when I returned back from work and remained quiet for a while before announcing that we both deserved to have a secret little bonfire.

We had a bonfire every night and every night,he brought me marshmallows and told me more about his life and his ways.

It was interesting to hear things from his point of view, how he saw things before he left everything behind and how he sees things now. It gave me an inside view to how my mates might feel when they see me but also how they might have seen me from the moment we met.

He was mostly worried about what he would do to his mate if he got jealous. He explained that his family had the tendency to be over dramatic when it came to jealousy and he might go out and kill a man.

"Don't get me wrong, I can be a bottom in a male relationship and in the female I can be the top, but bottom or top doesn't matter when it comes to jealousy. Even now without even having a mate, I still see red when I think of them with another person. I need to wait until that red turns into a hazy cloud of red smoke that I can see through before I even think of looking for my mate."

I listened intently to every word that he said and stored it away to dissect later.

As the days grew to a larger number and my mates still hadn't come for me,  I started to grow worried about my decisons.

When I thought about it,it was slightly dramatic. I felt like a child who told their parent that they were going to run away when they only had twenty cents in their pockets and a a packet of chewing gum.

They knew where I was and what I was doing, they were just letting me think that I had freedom and that I could be by myself.

I brushed my hair back from my face and scooted closer to the fire for some extra warmth. I felt confusion.

That hopeless kind of confusion where you just want to curl into a ball and cry and wash the confusion away. I was having mate withdrawals. Jack went to bed early that night, he had a meeting with the towns mayor tomorrow about the B&B and what plans he had in store for it. 

I jumped when he said this, assuming the mayor was going to try and fire him and for a selfish second, i worried about myself rather than him. My guilt must have shown on my face because he took one look at me ad laughed hard.

"Oh, you should see your face right now." he gasped. "Don't worry, he isn't going to shut me down. He may be a human but he still knows an alpha male when he sees one. He wouldn't dare try anything." he patted my shoulder and smiled at me. Again, I jumped a bit. His smiles were usually sarcastic or self depreciating.

"And don't feel bad.I wouldn't have even thought about the other person. Just myself. Funnily enough, you were the first person to pp into my head when I got that email. My cousin would have my ass out on the road before I could even blink if  lost this place and in turn made you kind of homeless." He mock shuddered.

I laughed at him and in a moment of sudden affection for him. I stood and hugged him tightly. He stood stock still for a moment longer before awkwardly wrapping his arms around me and patting me on the back.

I pulled away eventually and laughed at how uncomfortable he looked. 

"Sorry, I'm not used to being away from my mom or from Emily or my mates this long and I guess it all kind of just got to me there. And you are literally the only person that I have spoken to in two weeks who hasn't asked me for some coffee."