Two

"First years this way!" Newt heard a man say, and saw a man holding a large lantern guiding the first years onto some boats that floated on a huge lake. He looked back and saw Eve too busy trying to carry her suitcase to hear. 

"Eve, let me help you." She was hesitant, but let Newt carry it for her to the boats. During their time on the train, Eve learned that Newt had a fascination for magical beasts, which she thought was a great coincidence because she has a case full of them. 

As Eve got into the boat with Newt and two other students she didn't know, she began to wonder about what would happen if Newt found out about her secret. She would love to believe that he would be fine with it, considering he already has a liking to magical creatures, but for years, she has been called a freak. Her name might as well have been Freak because that was basically all her papa ever called her.

"Eve!" She snapped out of her thoughts to see Newt and the two other students were staring at her. "It's time to get on the boat." 

She nodded and stepped in first. A girl sat next to her. "Hi, I'm Leta Lestrange. I'm gonna get into the Slytherin house." She said confidently while holding her hand out for Eve to shake. The boy climbed in next, introducing himself shyly as Jerry Thomas.

"I-I'm Eve. What is a 'slytherin house'...?" Leta, Newt, and Jerry gawked at her.

"You don't know what the houses are?" Eve shook her head. 

"There are four houses that you are sorted in, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin. You are sorted by your personality and skill. It's sort of like a test." Newt explained as everyone boarded the boats and they started across the water. 

"I see. What house are you hoping to get into?" Eve asked. 

Jerry replied, "Both my parents were Gryffindors, it'd be great if I were too." 

Newt said, "I'd like to be in Hufflepuff." Eve nodded, she secretly hoped to be in Hufflepuff as well.

A giant castle loomed over us as we sailed near it. Everyone gasped and pointed at it, growing even more excited than they were before. Eve grinned to herself, she finally has a home!

The first years exited the boats and were guided into a huge room with floating candles and a ceiling that looked like it was part of the night sky. 

"I love magic." Newt whispered into Eve's ear, and she nodded in agreement.

Eve barely heard the headmaster say his speech, but when he pulled out an old, wrinkly hat, she started to pay attention. What was happening? What is the hat gonna do?

"Leta Lestrange." The teacher called up. Leta strutted up to the hat and put it on. It didn't even touch her head when it shouted "SLYTHERIN!" The table farthest to the left cheered and welcomed Leta. 

"Jerry Thomas." Jerry scuttled up there, and the hat nearly fell over his face because his head was so small. The hat seemed to think, before shouting "RAVENCLAW!" Jerry looked slightly disappointed but still very happy when the Ravenclaw table started to cheer for their new member.

"Newt Scamander." Newt walked up shyly and sat down. The hat was placed upon his head and Newt jumped. What happened. He seemed to whisper something to himself before the hat shouted "HUFFLEPUFF!" The table in yellow seemed to cheer extra loud for Newt, and he grinned and sat down at the table.

"Eve Garner." Eve gulped and slowly walked up to the hat. It sat stiffly on her head and she waited.

"So, you wanna get into Hufflepuff, aye?" She jumped and looked around, looking for a source of the voice. She heard a few people snicker and realized it was the hat talking to her. 

"Hmmm, I remember your mother, she was a great wizard. Had a knack for extension charms, hehehe." The hat seemed to joke to itself. 

"Your father." Eve gasped. She had never heard a single thing about her biological father. "He was loyal and brave. Would've sacrificed himself before letting others get hurt. I know you have lots of secrets, and have been through a lot, but I've dealt with you lot, y'know, animagus people. You are no different than the other witches and wizards in this room." Eve felt tears prick her eyes. "I know where you would thrive, HUFFLEPUFF!" Eve grinned and skipped down to the Hufflepuff table as it cheered, nearly forgetting the hat was on her head.

She sat next to Newt, "I can't believe we did it!" He smiled at her as the headmaster said a few more things, and suddenly, an array of extravagant foods appeared before her on the tables. 

"I can't believe it either." Eve said quietly to herself.

She finally had a family. 

❦   ❦   ❦

❦   ❦   ❦

❦   ❦   ❦

I set my suitcase down, observing my new room. There were beds with curtains above them, so everyone could have some privacy when they were drawn.

Pickett squirmed. I quickly removed him and set him on the bed I chose.

"You wanna sleep with me or in the suitcase?" I whispered to him. He hopped off and buried himself under my comforters. I laughed and closed the curtain so no one could see him.

I walked down to the Hufflepuff common room where everyone else was, taking everything in and chatting with everyone else. I went over to Newt as he sat awkwardly on the sofa, too shy to converse with anyone.

"Hey." I grinned at him as he smiled back.

"Hi, you excited for this year?"

"Absolutely, I cannot wait to start class." We sat and conversed about our families and hometowns. I, of course, only told Newt about my mother, or what I remembered of her anyway. I felt bad for lying, but if he but if he ever found out about what I've been through and what I was, he'd think I was a freak.

Newt's eyelids started to droop after a few hours.

"You should get to your bed, you seem tired." He nodded and let out a yawn, stretching his arms over his head. He stood up and said goodnight to me before walking to the bedrooms. I watched him go and smiled. It was nice to have a friend after so long.

I skipped to my bed and threw myself on it, squealing happily. I heard a muffled yelp underneath me and immediately jumped.

"I'm so sorry, Pickett! I forgot you were here!" I scooped him up in my hands and examined him. He seemed to be fine except for his little arm, which was bent in a weird angle. He let out a small moan in pain.

I grimaced and apologized some more as a placed my case on top of my bed. I opened it and stepped inside, quickly shutting the curtains as I walked down into the depths of the case.

All the beasts were sound asleep inside, all rested. I had some food in here in case of emergencies and they had eaten all of it.

I sighed and stepped over to one of the cupboards, careful not to wake any of them. I grabbed the bandages and quickly wrapped up Pickett's arm. He nestled into my hand comfortably and started to fall asleep. I carried him back up and out of the case, shutting it and placed it under my bed.

All the other Hufflepuffs seemed to be asleep, so I climbed into my bed and pulled the covers over my head, holding Pickett in my hands and fell asleep, dreaming of my new life at Hogwarts.