CHAPTER III

KATHERINE EVY JONES

"Kathy, you have a child?" Ace asks me again with the same inscrutable voice.

I fidget with my fingers and sigh, "Yes, I do,"

He asks me in a hard voice, "So, what does your husband do?"

I look at him expressionless, thinking whether to lie or not. Sighing again, I say, "Can't we discuss of something else?"

He nods at me, his lips pressed in a hard line as the driver drives to my son's child care centre.

*** 

"Mommy!" Kyle runs towards me as soon as he sees me.

I laugh uneasily at him, my gaze focused at Ace. But I can't guess what's going on in that mind of his, with his deadpanned face. 

I walk forward and hug Kyle. Whispering in his ear, I ask, "How was your day, Kyle?"

He looks at me with a  wide smile and replies, "I LEARNT A LOT OF NEW THINGS TODAY!"

I chuckle at his enthusiasm and ask, "Like what sweetheart?"

Kyle starts off energetically, "Did you know-" stopping abruptly, he looks at Ace, standing behind me quietly. Releasing me from the hug, he walks towards him.

Ace smiles at him uneasily, like trying to figure something out, "You must be Kyle, huh?"

Kyle doesn't reply and touches Ace's face with his tiny little fingers. I open my mouth to call him back but clamp it shut as Kyle whispers his next words, "You look like me," My son shouldn't be so smart. 

Ace confused, says, "Yes young man, and you look like me too, when I was a kid,"

Then he looks at me and asks, "Katherine, who's his father?"

I look at anywhere but him and answer, "It doesn't matter!"

"It does," Ace counters angrily.

I cry, exasperated, "Ace he just looks like you! That doesn't mean you should know who his father is!"

He shuts his mouth and looks towards Kyle. Then pulling the sleeve of Kyle's shirt back, he examines it. After a few seconds, he looks at me and instead of replying shows's me Kyle's arm.

It's his birthmark.

I look at him confused and ask, "Yes, it's a birthmark... so?"

Ace sighs and pulls his own shirt sleeve to reveal a same birthmark there and then says, "It's been in our family for generations,"

I sigh, knowing that he knows. A tear drops off my cheek, I quickly rub it to hide it. But Kyle doesn't miss this. He runs forward and asks soothingly, "Mom, why are you crying? Is that my dad?"

I smile through my tears, that have dropped off uncontrollably and reply, "You shouldn't be so smart, love,"

Kyle, who of course doesn't understand my situation looks at me confused. I just shake my head and pull him into a hug. 

Then releasing him, I look up at Ace and say, "Thank you for the ride  Ace, but we must really go,"

Ace shakes his head and says, "you really think that I am going to abandon my heir like that!"

I look at him uneasily, "Surely, many of the girls you have f-" I stop myself and look at Kyle and then at Ace.

Sighing, I say, "My house is just a few blocks away from here, can I drop Kyle off?" I literally said that to him in a begging tone. He looked at me and then said, "fine."

***

I sigh washing my hands, it's difficult to comprehend how the situation changed so soon. It feels false and fake, as if this is a nightmare. Turning the tap off, I ask Kyle to play in his room and then I walk to Ace who is waiting in the living room.

I sit down and ask tiredly, "Surely many of the other girls you fucked could have been pregnant right?"

He shakes his head at me as I sigh. Then looking at him, I ask, "What do you want then?"

"I want to have a place in Kyle's future," he replies determinedly.

I whisper shout, "Are you hearing yourself now! OF COURSE THE ANSWER IS A NO!"

"Why!?"

"Because I am his mother," I reply trying to make him get the point, "You haven't been a least caring earlier then why now!"

"Because, earlier I didn't know he existed! " then adding, "I also want you to come home with me"

I mimic, "I also want you to come home with me," then shouting, "Ace, the last time I checked, you didn't care about me!"

"I-"

I interrupt him, "You left me the next morning after taking my virginity and I was stupid enough to let you take it!"

"Look-" he says exasperated but I interrupt him again, "And then you leave thousand dollars there and make me look like a slut! Ace, do you see what I am saying. You ruined my life...If fucking me was your only plan then why take me on ten dates! Why give me all those flowers and those sickeningly sweet messages! Huh?!" Then I cry again, not bothering if Kyle will hear me, "My life has never been the same again! I had ambitions, Ace. I was joining up money for my sisters's cancer and yet you come and woosh! Everything goes downhill, you ruined my life, Ace Kingman," I repeat.

I am breathing heavily, as I finally break down. Years of anger that I'd kept bottled up inside of me, I had finally released it upon the person I hated the most in my life. I cry and cry, Ace stands up coming towards me but I hold up a finger, signalling him to stay there.

With my head held in my palms, I cry. I never thought that I'd see this day. Ace standing before me, pleading to have a part in Kyle's life. My biggest concern had always been that how would I ever make Kyle understand that his father had left me before he was born!

Ace just stood there, until no more tears were left. What was left was only an uneasy atmosphere and the brutal words still hanging.

I quickly try to compose my breathing and say weakly, "Please leave, Ace."

He looks up at me, disparately. It' kind of surprising to see that on Ace's face. He was always the confident and sort of demanding one, while I was timid and reticent. Thinking about everything twice, before I ever said them. Always scared and quiet, not able to have my opinion raised whereas Ace was debatable, charming and all the qualities that a good father and a CEO has...

Ace still stares at me, but my face doesn't betray any emotion of weakness, my guard brought up again. Then finally he turns and leaves the house. I can hear his automobile driving away as I go to check up on Kyle. He has collapsed on his bed, asleep.

I smile at him briefly, and cuddle in bed with him.

Bringing my forehead to his, I whisper, "You are all that matters, sweetheart,"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE LEAVE IN COMMENTS BELOW IF YOU HAVE ANY DIFFICULTY OPENING THIS CHAPTER AND ALSO COMMENT HOW WAS IT?????

BTW MASON COOK PLAYS KYLE KINGMAN.

UNTIL THEN.