Background

Basic Information about the setting on the novel.

In 1947 when India and Pakistan were created, Kashmir was cut into two portions and torn apart like a set of twins whose parent were divorcing.

One part is in under Indian occupation. The other Azaad (free) state lies in North Pakistan called Azad Kashmir a self-governing region of Pakistan.

Azad Kashmir has 10 districts:

Muzzaffarabad.
Mirpur
Bagh
Bhimbar
Kotli

Sudhonati

Neelam

Hatian

Haveli

Poonch

Source: www.pakinformation.com/ajk/district.html

The Fallen Widow is set in the 11th fictional district of Azad Kashmir called Jahanpur. The district Jahanpur is spread over 854 Sq Km, it has over 150 villages with a population over 163,000, basically it's pretty colossal. The district is divided into two unequal portions. The large portion is the North, the smaller portion the south with the Neelam River cutting through. The large North portion of the district is governed by Choudhary Dilawar-Baksh Qureshi, the smaller portion is ruled by his estranged brother Choudhary Muzzamil Qureshi. Both brothers deadlocked in land wars.

The fallen widow is set in the large North side of Jahanpur

The issues that I cover in this book are:

· Bonded labour/Modern day slavery 

· Patriarchal society

· Class system

· Poverty

These issues are not restricted to Kashmir. In the present day, these issues are prevalent in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and South Asia as a whole. The fact I based it in Kashmir is due to my knowledge of local area, terrain, tradition, culture and religion.

Please click follow for all updates, vote and comment. 

I read each and every comment with due diligence and reply whenever I can. 

JazakAllah Kheir. 
Thank you