Up Upon A Star

Bucky sometimes thought Karina had some sort of mind controlling abilities. He wasn't sure if mind control or telepathic abilities were possible, but he then he realized there was, but Karina was evidence to support his theory it did. He meant that light heartedly too. Or the slightly scarier thought was she knew how to work him. She knew him better than he knew himself at this point. Her minor from undergraduate school in psychology seemed to be beneficial to her when it came to him. He was starting to think he made a premature assumption that she would make a terrible spy.

The first thing that was making him question Karina's bewitching tongue was somehow he let her give him a haircut. He didn't even know how it happened until he was sitting outside on her balcony shirtless, with a towel over his shoulders, with Karina behind him snipping away. He felt incredibly naked not having his hair to hide behind. The new style left his face all in the open. It left him exposed. He thought she was going to cut it and style how he had it back in the 1940s,it was similar to a point but she made it more modern giving him more length on the top, but still short on the sides. He could admit he slightly panicked when she produced clippers with a devilish grin. It was evident she was planning that moment for months. She couldn't even hide the wide smile that he was shocked didn't hurt her cheeks, as she took pride in cutting his long hair. He was sure she even saved a lock of his hair.

But it did come out nice. He could admit it was a little jarring looking in his reflection as he resembled the man printed in history books and museums. Although he wouldn't give Karina the satisfaction of admitting it was nice having his hair cut. He didn't realize how much of a hassle it was having long hair until it was gone. Or the most glaring fact was no one seemed to really pay attention to him besides the occasional lingering female stare that Karina pointed out they were totally checking him.

Despite seemingly hiding in plain sight, it didn't stop him from running his hand through his hair a bit self-consciously and somewhat nervously. Being exposed as he was, he felt unprotected. The feeling almost made him queasy especially with how Karina looked at him. He couldn't recall anyone looking at him the way she did. Or better yet knowing his past and the blood that covered his hands, he never expected someone to look at him like she did ever again.

He wasn't even talking about amorously. She looked at him with such reverence that he recalled Steve looking at him at a time. Hell, he recalled having the glint in his eyes when Steve joined the army and became Captain America.

Her emerald eyes that he knew couldn't be replicated with any type of paint to reproduce held a warmth he craved. Warmth he didn't know he would need from anybody. Sometimes he felt the way she looked at him she never looked at anybody else in her life. The look was reserved for him only. It was a look – a warmth – that would thaw the many winters he was accustomed too.

His hand went to run through his hair for the millionth time when Karina's small petite hand intercepted.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"You don't need to apologize," Karina began before she tugged him to stop. "It's just if you're not comfortable, we can leave."

A frown settled on his face at the thought he may have been hindering Karina's time here as she was worried about him and his mood. Despite him feeling slightly uncomfortable with the new hairstyle, he was enjoying going on the rollercoasters and spinning rides that they bounced between. In the beginning, he thought he was going to throw up and he got a very vivid memory of watching Steve throw up after riding a roller coaster. But once he got used to the feeling, he was enjoying himself and he felt relaxed for the first time in almost 70 years.

So he felt like a wet blanket. "No, I want to stay. I'm having a good time. I remember going with Steve to Coney Island."

He watched as her eyes lit up making the green more vibrant as she looked at him brightly, "Let me guess the Cyclone was your favorite ride?"