Chapter 25-To Jotunheim

Thor huffed as he walked down the hallway. He was thoroughly disappointed that the day had been ruined, and it angered him to think that Heimdall would ever let Frost Giants into Asgard.
"Brother, please calm down. Another day will come." Balder caught up with Thor.
"How could the Frost Giants have penetrated Asgard's forces and Heimdall? It is unthinkable! If they've done it once, they'll do it again!" Thor growled as he went into the dining hall, the tables set and food already made, anticipating the celebration that had been cancelled. Thor went to one of the tables and turned it over, scattering all the food and utensils onto the ground.
"We're decorating are we?" Lady Sif asked as she and the Warriors Three entered the room. Thor didn't answer.
"What's this?" Volstagg gasped at the mess. "All this food is just scattered across the ground, it breaks the heart."
Thor ignored them and sat down on the stairs.
"It is unwise to be in my company right now twins," he snapped as Catalina and Loki came around the corner. "This was supposed to be my day of triumph."
Loki sat down next to him. "It'll come, in time." He looked over to Catalina, who had no idea what the fuss was about; Balder was the one who was supposed to become king, not Thor, and yet Balder was not complaining. "If it's any consolation, I think you're right: about the Frost Giants, about Laufey, about everything. If they found a way to penetrate Asgard's defenses, whose to say they won't try again, next time with an army?"
"Exactly!"
"Thor, there's nothing you can do, just let Father sort it out." Catalina sat next to Thor.
"There must be something; Balder, what do you think?"
Balder, who had been silent throughout the discussion looked down at them. "She's right Thor, let Father deal with the Frost Giants."
"But there has to be something we can do."
"There's nothing you can do without defying Father."
Thor looked up, "yes there is." He got up.
"Thor, no no, I know that look. Stop right there." Balder grabbed Thor's shoulder.
"It's the only way to ensure the safety of our borders," he objected.
"Thor, it's madness," Catalina shook her head at her brother.
"Madness? What sort of madness?" Volstagg asked over a stack of food he had collected from another table.
"Oh, um nothing, Thor was merely making a just." Loki said and looked at Catalina for confirmation.
"The safety of our world is no jest. We're going to Jotunheim." Thor said.
The twins put there faces in there hands. How stupid could Thor get? The Warriors Three seemed to agree.
"What?" Fandral laughed as if Thor were joking.
"Thor, of all the laws of Asgard, this is the one you must not break." Sif tried to reason.
"This is not like a journey to Foregard where you can summon a little thunder and lightning and the mortals worship you as a god. This is Jotunheim!"
"And if the Frost Giants don't kill you, you're father surely will."
"My father fought his way through Jotunheim, defeated their armies and took their Casket. We will just be looking for answers."
"Just get them from Odin. Ask him why," Catalina shook her head.
"He won't know Sister." Thor brushed her aside.
"It is forbidden!" Sif said.
Thor laughed, "my friends, gave you forgotten all we have done together?" He went first to Fandral. "Who brought you into the sweet embrace of the most exotic maidens in all of the Yggdrasil?"
"Odin and Balder; You helped a little." Fandral shrugged.
Thor moved on to Hogun, "and who led you in the most glorious of battles?"
"You did, and Balder."
Thor went to Volstagg, "and the delicacies so suculant you thought you died and went to Valhalla?"
"You did."
"Yes!" Then Thor went to Sif, "and proved wrong all who scoffed at the idea that a young maiden could be one of the fiercest warriors this realm has ever known... Besides my sister?" Catalina rolled her eyes.
"I did," Sif turned her nose up at him.
"True but I supported you." Thor went back to stand next to Balder. "My friends you must trust me now. You are not going to let my siblings and I take all the glory are you?"
"What?" Loki and Balder looked at each other.
"You all are coming with me aren't you?"
Loki looked up, "why yes of course." He stood next to Thor and pulled Catalina up with him. "We would never allow our brother to march into Jotunheim alone."
"Balder?"
"I suppose I must," Balder nodded and stood at Thor's side.
"And I." Volstagg said.
"And I," Fandral said.
"And I, the Warriors Three fight together." Hogun nodded.
"My fear will live to regret this." Sif said as she put her fist over her heart and bowed.
"If we're lucky," Thor laughed and led his brothers and sister away to the entrance of the castle.
"First we must find a way to get past Heimdall," Balder said as he tightened a bracer.
"That will be no easy task. It's said that the gate keeper can see a single drop of dew fall from a blade of grass a thousand worlds away." Volstagg grabbed his axe.
"Yes and he can hear a cricket passing gas in Niflheim." Fandral smirked.
"Jest not! He heareth all."
"Well, getting past him should be easy enough now, since he seems to be letting Frost Giants slip by under his nose." Fandral got aboard his horse and watched as the rest of the warriors did the same.
"Oh, forgive him, he meanith no offence," Volstagg mumbled to Heimdall.
Thor mounted his white horse and gave Balder a hardy slap on the shoulder.
"Are you ready Brother?"
Balder looked over at him without fear, yet with a sort of dread, not for Jotunheim, but for Odin.
"Indeed Brother, what are we waiting for?"
They set off toward the Rainbow bridge, and galloped to the Bifrost, where they came to a stop. Heimdall stood infront of them, his eyes showing no emotion.
As they walked together to confront the gate keeper, Loki went ahead.
"Leave this to me," he said to Thor and stood before Heimdall. "Good Heimdall we wish t-"
"You're not dressed warmly enough." The gate keeper's golden eyes were unchanging.
"I'm sorry?" Loki looked at him, although Catalina could see there was no surprise.
"You think you can fool me?"
"You must be mistaken-"
"Enough Loki!" Thor huffed and went to stand infront of him. "Heimdall may we pass?"
"Never has an enemy gotten passed my watch until this day," said the gate keeper regrettably. "I wish to know how that happened."
"Don't tell anyone until we have returned." Thor said and began marching into the Bifrost.
"What happened? Silver tongue turned to lead?" Volstagg jested to Loki. Catalina sighed and took her twin brother's hand in her own and together they caught up with the company.
The company stood spread out in the Bifrost as Heimdall slid his sword into it to activate it. The Bifrost began to spin, and Catalina swallowed.
"Be warned: I will honor my sworn oath to protect this realm as gatekeeper; if your return threatens the safety of Asgard the Bifrost will remain closed, and you will be left to die in Jotunheim."
"Can't you just leave the bridge open for us?" Fandral inquired. Catalina could see everyone, except Thor, becoming nervous.
"Leaving the bridge open would unleash the full power of the Bifrost and destroy Jotunheim, with you upon it."
"I have no plans to die today," Thor said, eager to go.
With that, Heimdall pushed his sword into the platform and the Bifrost pulled the company into its rays and shot them through the galaxy onto the cold surface of Jotunheim.
"Oh what dreadful cold this is." Volstagg shivered as Thor led them through the dark, frigid cold.
They walked on, and Catalina could see the silhouette of the castle in the near distance.