Chapter 11

Eli's POV

I sat watching as the girls paced back and forth, waiting to help them into a dress. Eve tore through the closet, bringing out different dresses, each shorter than the last. Adalynn stood by her bed, which was currently covered with dresses of all color. Finally, she chose a simple sleeveless white gown that went to her knees, with a collared neck.

I stood up, helping her into the dress and lacing the ribbon at the back. Eve chose a flouncy green dress with white floral patterns on the skirt. Once again, I helped her into her dress, and buttoned the back. They rushed downstairs to meet their mother's gaze, her eyes burning as she looked them over.

"Very good, girls. I'm sure one of you will win over the Alpha's son, and become his mate." She spoke with pride as she reminded them of all the procedures to follow;  what to say, how to smile, how to act. I listened quietly as my heart raced.

Today, the Alpha and his son will be making their way through the town, going to every house requesting that all mateless females living there try on a single shoe. If they do so and fit the shoe, they will be asked a series of questions, only the mystery girl would know the answer to. If they answer correctly, they will became the next Luna.

The girls fidgeted as they stood, their faces red with excitement. Even my step-mother, who so rarely showed emotion, was slightly nervous, her cheeks red and her eyes darting across the room. Finally, her eyes landed on me. "Eli... What are you still doing here?" 

I flinched slightly. "Well... I..."

"How about you take the day off? Go into town?" I understood what she was saying; She didn't want the Alpha to know that she was related in any way to me. He probably doesn't even remember the small omega he helped so many years ago. Truthfully, I was excited to meet him. It has been at least five years since I've last seen him, before he stopped checking up on me.

I sighed, nodding my head. "Let me... Grab some stuff before I go out." I headed to the basement, collapsing on my bed, where I lay until I hear the sound of running. They're here. I immediately sat up, panic setting in. I grabbed a bag, shoving a small amount of money, a change of clothes, and a bottle of water into it before racing out of the basement.

"-ood to see you!" My step-mother was saying as I stepped out. They were in the living room, thankfully, and didn't notice me as I crept through the kitchen to the back door. I peeked into the living room first, wanting one last time to see my mate. He stood across from the girls seated at the couch, watching them with disdain as they batted their eyelashes, giggling at nothing.

My wolf whimpered as I inhaled his sweet scent. I longed to once again throw myself into his arms. But I held back, knowing that was an impossible dream. I turned, wanting to leave before he smelled me, realizing that his mate is here.

I slid open the door to the back, moving carefully though the yard until I was at the edge of the forest. I quickly shifted, my body changing and becoming wolf-like. I turned one last time to the house, before picking up my bag with my teeth, and running through the forest, away from my mate.