Chapter 4

Logan stood outside the door of his London apartment, key in hand. It had been a long day at the office and he was ready to be in the comfort of his own home. He was not, however, ready to put on the show that he'd have to with Odette. The fake smiles. The mock sincerity. He had gotten used to those things at work, having joined his father's company and taking over the London sector of the business. But at home too?

The apartment door suddenly opened without warning, revealing his fiancée. "Logan? You okay?" Odette had donned her coat and held onto her purse as she pulled a large piece of luggage behind her.

He looked up and plastered the most convincing smile he could muster. "Sure am honey. Just trying to remember if I sent out a contract before leaving the office. Guess it doesn't matter now. There is always tomorrow." Logan spied the luggage, prompting the question, "You headed somewhere?"

Odette hesitated, then leaned in to give Logan a kiss. "I am heading to Paris for a week, remember? Eliza is flying in from Amsterdam and I planned to meet her since she rarely gets away anymore."

Logan didn't recall being let in on the plans but who was he to argue? "Right, right. I'm sure you told me. Have fun and don't do anything I wouldn't do."

Odette laughed. "That gives me plenty of leeway." She turned and walked toward the bank of elevators at the end of the hall. Before the door completely removed her from sight, she held up her hand in a brief wave. He felt a smile tighten across his lips and wondered about the emotion he saw flicker in her eyes just before the elevator closed.

Logan turned and walked into his apartment, heading straight for the desk to put his briefcase down. He felt his cell phone vibrate and for the briefest of seconds, he hoped it would be Rory. It felt like a bucket of cold water splashed over him as he realized she would never again contact him. He recalled the way they left things, with her moving on with her life in Stars Hollow and him coming back to London to marry Odette. The photo he took in his mind that last day was as vivid as ever—Rory's brunette hair tucked beneath the black hat he placed on the top of her head. Her blue eyes brightly shining like a woman in love. Her delicate skin, lovely and soft. Oh, how he missed her.

Pulling his phone from his pocket, Logan saw that it was Finn who had texted him. Hey mate, you won't believe it but Colin just bought another bed and breakfast in Holland. Logan shook his head and responded, Why does that not surprise me? He pressed the send icon and, noticing the battery was nearly dead, plugged the charger into the phone and placed it on the desk. He turned around, heading toward the bar cart to make himself a drink but plans changed when his phone began to ring with an incoming call. The caller...

The caller was Rory.

As he grabbed the phone, the charger cord pulled out. With an urgency he never felt before, Logan slid the on-screen bar to answer the call before it was too late. As he did so, his heart rate increased.

"Rory?"

******

Rory felt her entire body go numb as Logan's voice filled the line. She couldn't possibly do this, could she? Get a grip and get it over with!

"Logan."

"Ace. It's been a while."

"It has. Is this a good time? Do you have a few minutes to talk?"

"Now is as good a time as any. What do you want to talk about?"

Rory paused, unsure of how to broach the news. Funny, she never thought about what she would say, only stressed about making the call itself. Her head suddenly throbbed, like it does when someone holds in her breath for too long.

"Ace? You have been completely silent for several minutes. Everything okay?"

"Logan, do you remember the last night we saw each other in New Hampshire?"

A smile crept into Logan's voice. "It would be hard to forget that night."

Rory felt her cheeks grow warm. How does he have this effect on me when he isn't even in the same room, let alone in a different country?

"Yes, well, it has been hard for me to forget that night either."

"That good, huh, Ace?"

"Yes, always." Rory recalled what it felt like to be wrapped in Logan's arms.

Logan chuckled but said nothing else. Maybe he was remembering too.

"I'm calling to let you know..."

"Yeah?" Logan's voice lost all mirth. It's almost like he knew why she was calling.

"I'm pregnant." Rory held her breath, waiting for his reaction but there was only silence. Rory pulled the phone from her ear and watched as the call was disconnected.