Chapter XLI - The Heart Wants What It Wants

There's an assembly at the gym this morning. I try to slip in and blend in with the crowd, but Penny grabs my arm from behind and drags me to sit next to her on the bleachers. Reese and River join us soon after.

My eyes zero in on the lycans standing near the door by the end of the bleachers. Constantine is standing there with the rest of them, looking extremely bored. He is so gorgeous, though. Those eyes, the sculptured cheekbones, and nose, and chin...and those lips...hot messy hair. I'm seriously hopeless.

Milan is standing right next to him. She looks at me with a small smile playing on her lips and a triumphant look in her eyes. She wraps her arms around one of his, and rests her head on his broad shoulder. I grit my teeth and look away.

I wish I could stop loving him. I wish I could hate him. I wish I wasn't this pathetic.

My eyes fall on Hunter who is looking at me with a sympathetic look. I like Hunter. I think he's very nice, but I don't want any sympathy from anybody. I take a deep breath and give him a big smile. He smiles back, looking somehow sort of relief.

I feel the heat of his stare burning through my skull, as if commanding me to look, and my eyes are drawn back towards where the lycans are standing. Constantine is staring fiercely back. His eyes move to Hunter then back to me. I can feel his anger from here. He turns to look away first. His jaw tight. Milan leans in close to his ear and whispers something. I have to admit, they are both stunningly beautiful. They look good together. That thought is like a dagger to my heart. I turn to look away.

"Genesis!" Evan is smiling up at me, as he makes his way over. "Can I sit here?"

"Uh, yeah...sure," what else can I say?

Evan lowers himself right next to me. He's too close for my liking. His thigh is pressed up against mine. Ezra's seriously not liking this. There's not much I can do, though. There's not much room for me to wiggle away. His arm goes around my back.

I look up to people staring at me again. My eyes automatically flash to Constantine who's staring at me with steely cold eyes. He's not even hiding his jealousy. His jaw is clenched tight and his nostrils are flaring. I can feel the heat of his fury. Well, he has Milan hanging onto his arm, so...whatever. I stare defiantly back even when I feel like cowering from his intense anger.

Mr Bennet, our principal, takes the mike and starts talking about the upcoming sport events. I'm so tense, I'm not paying attention to a single word he says.

It feels like more eyes are staring at me than at our principal. I feel like everybody's waiting in anticipation for something to happen. They're hungry for blood. My blood. Or maybe that's just my food deprived stomach and sleep deprived brain thinking.

All the lycans are definitely looking at me. Caspian is staring at me broodingly as well. What is his problem?

I tear my eyes away from Constantine and all the other lycans to have my eyes fall on Hunter who's also scowling. Then on pissed off Logan and his friends and other people around. None of them are looking too happy. What is everybody's problem???? If looks could kill, I'd be minced meat.

I feel Penny's hand tightens around mine.

"Uh, why is everybody staring at us?" whispers Evan close to my ear.

"I have no idea," I whisper back.

"They're not all your boyfriends, are they?" he jokes, chuckling a little.

"No, not all of them. No," at least that one is not a lie.

I gulp nervously and my gaze is drawn back towards the lycans. Caspian is saying something heatedly to Constantine who is looking livid. A few seconds later Constantine takes off. Milan runs off after him immediately.