Chapter 1: The Interview.

You are in the building of the GamerCave company, the organization that made multiple video games throughout your childhood, the company that made games that you played as a kid.

Serene's heart raced, knowing that the interview he was about to enter would determine his future.

It scared him.

He has nowhere else to go if he doesn't get the job. If he gets the job, that would be his future. A lump grew inside his throat, and he could not swallow. His brain had forgotten how to function the body.

I can't do this, he thought. I still have fifteen minutes left until the interviews start. I can run out of the building and find another job. I can choose a different career path, a different future.

His breathing stopped for a minute. The floor shifted under his feet as his vision blurred, and the fear of moving crept into his head. Serene's stomach twisted as if his organs were dancing inside of him, causing him to feel the need to throw up. His temperature dropped along with the noises in the background. He sensed the urge to fall onto the floor and pretend he'd collapsed.

"I can't do this."

Eleven minutes until the interview. The elevator is attached to the wall, taunting Serene to start walking. Goosebumps crawled on his pale skin, making him tremble in the middle of the main floor.

"Excuse me," a voice interrupted the silence that Serene had imagined.

Crap.

"Are you in need of assistance?"

A woman walked in front of him. Her brown hair was pulled into a bun, allowing Serene to acknowledge her face's well-highlighted. She dressed formally, a dark blue blazer covering her white buttoned shirt. The corner of her rose-painted lips curved, giving Serene a grin.

He blinked a few times, his mind processing what was said. He swallowed before recognizing his silence and finally responded, "I'm here for the interview."

Her eyes widened, keeping her smile on her beautiful tanned face. "You're here for the assistant job?"

Serene nodded slowly, hesitant to even talk. "Do you happen to know which floor it's at?" he asked, keeping his composure.

"The fifth floor. Room 508."

Serene sent the woman a slight grin, nodding her a thank you. He walked to the elevator, his legs weaker with every step.

His face flushed with embarrassment, regretting the social events he avoided as a kid. He weighed the possibilities: If he had joined at least one pep rally, he probably would've felt more comfortable for a job interview. That's what social anxiety does to you. It keeps you from wanting to be the center of attention. Whenever he was expected to speak, he would need to play out conversations in his head before approaching anyone.

Serene waited near the elevator, watching the doors slide open in front of him. He let out a soft and long sigh, allowing any anxiety he kept inside to leave his system. The brunette male walked into the elevator, pleased that no one would be with him in the small space.

Throughout the years, he was able to control his anxiety. He had always wanted to be an assistant, and with the motivation, he practiced once in a while and all for this specific interview. He knew that meetings would come with being an assistant. He knew he needed to develop his communication skills, which is what he did. As long as he doesn't feel the need to wing it, he'd be fine.

Then again, his habit of winging it had always been in his favor during speeches and debates during school. It's not like he didn't trust himself to make something up on the spot, but it was more of that fact that there was always that off chance that he might word things wrong.