Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Don't make food tomorrow afternoon."

I glanced up at Arthur as he finished bolting breakfast so he could go upstairs to watch Katty while Jason went to work. They had decided that she would likely be fine on her own, but just in case she decided to wander off, it would be better to have someone keeping an eye on her. At least until more of her memories came back.

"Okay?"

Arthur scraped up the last bite of oatmeal and took his bowl to the sink. "I'd like to take you out since I'm off and don't need to watch Katty."

I cocked my head. "Out where?"

He hesitated before rushing for the door, seeming almost shy all of a sudden. "Out. On a date."

I froze, surprised, shocked, overjoyed. All at once. I carefully studied him. "Really?"

Arthur cocked his head with a slight shrug. "I figured, it would be a chance for us both to make sure this is what we want before committing."

"Close your eyes please?" He raised an eyebrow but did as I requested. I took in a steadying breath as I got up and crossed the kitchen to him, leaning forward. I closed my own eyes just before I brushed my lips over his. Feather light. Barely there. More a warning than a kiss. There was no retreat so I pressed in again.

This time, it was actually a kiss. I pressed our mouths together firmly. At first I thought he wasn't going to respond. Then he tilted his head ever so slightly and his lips moved against mine. I felt his fangs against my bottom lip and carefully pulled away.

He stared at me with blood red eyes, mouth opened to show off his fangs. His tongue flickered out to lick his lips and I swallowed hard, partly in nerves and partly as a surge of excitement went through me.

"Are you hungry or did my kiss do that?"

Arthur closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. He exhaled slowly and opened his eyes again, gray once more. "That depends. Which hunger are we talking about?"

I swallowed again and smiled. "Was it good or did you absolutely hate it?"

He thought about it for a minute, then shrugged. "It was different. Not good or bad."

I chuckled and leaned back. "I can always trust you to be brutally honest." I moved out of his way as he started for the door.

"It's a quality you like." I smiled a little at his precise statement of fact. He gave me a smirk over his shoulder before he left. "Think about what you'd like to eat. I'll take care of the rest."

I found it very hard to sit still for the rest of the night, and I was almost too nervous to sleep. I was excited. It had been a very long time since the last time I had dated and I was determined to make this go right. The alternative was too vast and terrifying to think about.

I heard Arthur finish in the bathroom and woke up. Then I was leaping out of bed to get ready. I figured Arthur wasn't going to take me anywhere too upscale, since I had nothing to wear for that sort of venue. Still, I put on the nicest clothes I owned and went out to meet him.

Arthur looked me up and down and smiled. "Evening." His smile widened a little more when I bit my lip nervously and nodded to him. "Do you know what you'd like to eat?"

I took in a breath to try to steady my nerves and nodded. "Tiramisu." Arthur blinked in surprise. I shifted a little uncomfortably. "I've heard of it, but I've never gotten a chance to try it."

Arthur slowly smiled. "Italian it is then. Come on." We walked down to a little Italian place and were quickly seated. Arthur didn't bother opening the menu he was left with and he took the one that had been placed in front of me. I bit my lip when I realized he was planning on running this date like a Dom would for his sub.