Chapter 8: Impossible

Jack spun to the voice, gasping at the familaration.

"It's been such a long time hasn't it?" Pitch exclaims, his topaz eyes seeping through the dark in a devilish stare. It sent a chill down Jack's spine.

"It can't be..." Jack muttered to himself.

Pitch chuckled, "Oh but it is."

He stepped closer to Jack. Quickly, Jack jumped back, his hands gripping his staff so tight that frost began to layer more.

"Jack please, I mean no harm really. I just wish to have a small talk with you is all." Pitch says calmly.

Clearly, Jack saw through this lie. He glared, "How are you still alive? We were all sure you were gone."

"How about, you come with me and I'll tell you everything you wish to know. All you have to do is listen." Pitch said, he extends out his hand, "What do you say, Jack?"

Jack stared cautiously at him and his gesture. He wanted to, so he could be revealed to the answers that everyone could never think of. He needed to know.

But...

"No." Jack spat, "I never have nor will trust you, Pitch."

"But this doesn't require trust, just time." Pitch still had his hand out, waiting, "Come on, Jack. Just take the opportunity, and you'll be on your way."

With this promise, Jack sighed, stepping forward. He clasped Pitch's hand, then Pitch smirks. The setting around them disappeared in a black mist, surprising Jack. The two appeared in Pitch's lair, a dark eerie area, empty only being filled with the company of shadows. Jack wished to know the location.

It happened all to quickly, with a wave of his hand, Pitch had wrapped Jack in a tight fit of sand. Jack yelled and struggled beneath it, unable to break.

"Let me go!" Jack yells.

"Ah Jack. You never seem to know." Pitch says, walking around Jack.

Jack struggled, "How are you alive? And what did you do to Juri?!"

Pitch laughs, "Wouldn't you like to know? But don't worry, I won't hurt you, after all; I need you stable for this. I waited for over 5 years to do this."

Pitch used the sand to lift Jack up, and with his hard stare, he began his say.

"Her nightmares are only going to get worse, Jack."

"So you did do it?" Jack asked.

"She was so naive and oblivious to the situation, it was laughable. As soon as I  saw her in the sky, I knew this would succeed, and it already is." Pitch continued, "But you can stop it you know."

Jack froze, staring at Pitch in curiosity. He gulped, beginning to feel nervous at the answer to, "How?"

Pitch grins, "All you have to do is leave Juri, forever."

Jack went wide eyed at the thought, while Pitch only smiled happily at the thought of it. Oh how he dreaded to see the sight of Juri Frost's crushed face and heart when the man she loves, leaves her.

"Only you can make this happen, Jack. Leave Juri, and erase her memory of you. You can do that, after all, you do have the knowledge how."

Pitch referred to the power of her necklace, how easy it was to erase a simple memory stored in that pendant.

"If you do this as soon as possible all her nightmares, tears, and screams can all fade away, as will you from her life." Pitch made sure to rub the three terms in Jack's hearing. "So what now, Jack? Will you? It is the simplest task."

"You don't get it do you?" Jack said, "I married her, and vowed to stay by her side forever. I love Juri, and I highly doubt you understand that feeling, and I doubt I would ever agree to your stupid deal."

"Think about someone other than yourself Jack!" Pitch spat, "If you truly loved Juri as you claim, you would have agreed right away. This would end her suffering, and you are the one that is continuing it."

Pitch lied skillfully, making Jack think his statement over. Pitch won't stop her nightmares, and Jack will have to wake up because of her blood curling screams from the sights. It was what he feared, harm to Juri, and Pitch knew it better.

But Jack knew best, "No. Way."

Pitch glared, releasing Jack.

"Suit yourself. But this is only the start of it all."

"I'll stay by her side, helping her along the way, then we'll defeat you again. "

"Ha! Stay by her side? Well you're doing quite a good job at that. Check the clock while you're at it. Then, you'll see how 'great' you really are!"

With that said, the scene around Jack faded, and he appeared on the rooftop again. He looked around and saw that the sky was darker, and buildings empty or the inside lights off. Cars parked and streets empty. His eyes widened.

"Oh no..." Jack flew to the nearest clock which was a bedroom clock in a nearby house window.

12:34 am

Jack gasped. Juri had to be home, sleeping by herself, for hours. Jack instantly flew home in a scare, that when he opened the door, he bolted up the stairs. His eyes glimmered in the moonlight seeping through the bedroom as he looked at his wife. Jack's heart fell as he took in the sight of Juri, shaken by her nightmare. She held herself together as she recomposed.

"Juri..." Jack says softly as he walks inside slowly. Her head shot up at Jack, her eyes slightly red from her exhaustion. He sat on the bed beside her, wrapping his arms around her small frame.

Juri sighed shakingly in relief at the sight of Jack here. She felt safer. He hugged her the whole time, his heart beat warmed her, calming her. Jack looked down at her, later seeing she closed her eyes. He sighed this time, dying at the thoughts of her rising nightmares, making her restless. Jack began to regretfully rethink the impossible.