Him and Me- Twenty Nine.

“I found it!” Colby exclaimed. I looked up from the book I was skimming through and found Colby jogging towards me down the aisle of used books. We left the diner a couple of minutes ago and were now at a local book store which sold used books at a cheap price. Colby said he wanted to look for a copy of a particular novel, so I suggested this store. I loved browsing here, and at times I would find a really good book at more than half the price. I didn’t mind about the wears and tears the books possessed—for me every crease added to the charisma of the book. It was also good to know that the former owner of such great page turners had probably read the book so many times that they became worn out.

My eyebrows lowered in curiosity as Colby neared. He had a book in hand, and he was smiling widely. A smile that I couldn’t help but mirror.

Tilting my head to one side, I asked, “What did you find?”

“A book,” he said nonchalantly. His tone clearly contradicted the way his eyes sparkled mischievously as he answered my question. I rolled my eyes and without warning, swung the book that I was holding against his arm. Colby’s shoulders tensed up in surprise, and he jumped backwards just in time to avoid the collision. Once he was firmly standing on the ground again, he narrowed his eyes at me.

Before he could open his mouth, I placed a hand on my hip and pointed my book at him.

“Don’t get smart with me,” I announced, tapping my foot on the floor for that extra effect.

Immediately, Colby’s narrowed eyes turned lively with amusement. “You remind me of my fifth-grade teacher, Mrs. Collins. She puts her hands on her hips and taps her foot a lot.”

I stared at him disbelievingly as my mouth dropped open slightly, together with my hand that was pointing out the book at him. I continued gawking at the boy in front of me, until Colby cleared his throat, seemingly trying to hold in a laugh.

Colby shrugged as he struggled to keep a straight face. “Just an observation.”

He then stepped closer to me and thrust the book he was holding in his hands near my face. I recoiled back a little to take a look at the front cover. Have A Little Faith. Bending a little to the right, so I could look at Colby from behind the book, I raised my eyebrows at him. Colby smiled.

“This is a really good book,” he offered. “I left my copy in California, so I’m stoked to find a copy here.”

Colby retracted his outstretched arm, examining the book at a closer distance. He swiped his thumb across the front cover of the book. “It’s not too shabby either, given that it’s already used.”

“Creases are not that bad,” I retorted, feeling a strange urge to defend worn out books. I held up the book I was reading, which had undoubtedly more wrinkles and pleats than what Colby was holding. I pursed my lips and gave Colby a firm nod.

“Makes me feel like the former owner loved the book so much, that he had to reread it and reread it who knows how many times.”

Colby smirked. “Or the book is so bad, the former owner threw it against the wall one too many times.”

The book in my hand was already swinging towards Colby again when he put his hands up in surrender.

“Just kidding!” He exclaimed. “Sheesh Kayla.”

He then cleared his throat and tapped Have A Little Faith on the palm of his hand. “As I was saying, this is a great book. An eye and mind opener, I should say. One of the reviews said everyone should read it, and I agree.”

“Okay, sounds interesting,” I said. I put Kafka On The Shore back on the shelf and asked, “So, you going to buy that?”

Colby nodded. “Definitely.”