Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 3

"You can't give your heart to a wild thing." Truman Capote

----

Chapter Three

Charlotte couldn't bring herself to go and see Giselle once again. Instead, she decided to occupy herself elsewhere for a few hours. She walked about the grounds and perused the spring flowers that had begun to bloom. She even snuck back inside via the servants' entrance to go up to her bedchamber and read for a while. But she couldn't avoid seeing Nate when the dinner bell was rung and it was time to change.

"Good evening, milady," her lady's maid, Samantha Foster, greeted happily as she arrived to help Charlotte dress for dinner. Samantha was the younger sister of Bess' maid, Anna. Samantha had arrived at Ascot a year earlier, fresh from taking similar courses as her elder sister. Anna had asked Bess to give Samantha a chance, and the kind-hearted Bess had complied. Samantha was well worth the chance though, and she was exceptionally talented with fixing hair.

In her hands, Samantha had a few roses from the garden and she set them down on Charlotte's dressing table.

"Good evening, Samantha," Charlotte greeted as she sat down before her mirror.

Samantha was quite a pretty girl and was a similar age to Charlotte, as she'd just had her nineteenth birthday. Her hair was the same dark brown as Anna, but her eyes were an unusual hazel green. "Downstairs is buzzing, milady, what with Lord Montrose's return and all. Isn't that little girl of his sweet?" Samantha quickly unpinned Charlotte's simple up-do and began to comb her hair.

"I'd rather not discuss Lord Montrose, Samantha," Charlotte muttered.

Samantha pursed her lips. "Of course, milady." Samantha wasn't aware of the goings on when Nate had left. She'd arrived when Charlotte had started to heal. Charlotte did indeed like Samantha, but she didn't have the relationship that Bess had with Anna. They weren't confidantes. Charlotte and Samantha had a mutual respect for one another, and a friendly relationship. "Is there anything in particular that you'd like me to do with your hair, or would you like me to surprise you?"

"Surprise me," Charlotte instructed. "Something pretty."

Half an hour later, Charlotte's dark hair had been combed, twisted and braided into an intricate bun on the back of her hair. One thin tendril was left hanging, falling over her shoulder, softening the hairstyle dramatically. Samantha then wove the roses into her hair as she'd selected a red gown to match. She stained Charlotte's lips ever so slightly and pinched her cheeks to add a little colour to her otherwise pale face.

Her gown was new and was a gift from Giselle. The bodice was incredibly tight and was a little too small for Charlotte, but because it was so pretty, she'd decided to brave it and tighten her corset. One would never let out a Giselle Mornington creation. The sleeves were off the shoulder and tight to her arms, finishing at her elbows with frilly pieces of gathered lace, fashioned in the style of trumpet sleeves. While the sleeves were a little old fashioned, nobody questioned Giselle's taste. The skirt flared from the waist with several layers of petticoats underneath.

Before descending the stairs, Charlotte took a few breaths to calm herself and lower her heartbeat. She could hear it thumping in her chest. Breathing was difficult though, as her waist was so restricted. She could only manage shallow breaths. That was not a good sign, seeing as she'd have to sit in the same room as a man who'd already caused her to faint.

She went downstairs quickly and made her way to the dining room. She could already hear comical conversation inside.

A footman opened the door for her and both Emmett and Nate rose from their seats as she entered. Her usual seat beside Bess was vacant, but she'd been seated beside Maggie. Sitting next to Rose was Nate, so he'd be in full view of her no doubt blushing cheeks all evening.