Chapter 9 - "We could slash his tires."

Up beat music swirled through the dim restaurant. Elliot sat on a stool, leaning against the bar, a water bottle in her hand. Cece and Milo sat on either side of her. All three were staring across the room. All three were silent as the party swam around them.

"Is he going to go for it this time?" Milo asked.

The man in reference broke away from his group. He took two steps towards a cluster of girls, then froze.

"Come on," Cece said, glancing at her watch. "Do it now idiot or I lose my bet."

The man turned around, freezing again.

"Gosh," Elliot said. "I think I'm getting an anxiety attack from just watching him."

The guy turned back to the group of girls. With a deep breath, he moved up to the blonde and tapped her on the shoulder. Elliot and Milo let out a groan as Cece tossed her hands in the air and cheered.

"I believe you both owe me $10," Cece said, stretching out a smug hand.

"Just two more minutes and I would have won," Elliot grumbled. "Not even on my birthday can some random guy not talk to a girl for two minutes longer."

Elliot pulled out a bill and handed it to Cece.

"Who is next?" Milo asked.

They all glanced about.

"This girl over here been eying the boy in the blue," Cece said. "Bets on how long it will be before she talks to him?"

Both Milo and Elliot studied the girl.

"I'll put down $15 that she does it in the next twenty minutes," Elliot said.

Cece looked at Milo as he still eyed the girl.

"Milo?" Cece asked.

"$15, but in fifteen minutes," Milo said.

"Then I take ten minutes," Cece said.

They sat back and watched as the girl laugh loudly in attempts to get the boy's attention. Elliot turned to Cece.

"Cece?"

"Uh?" Cece said, without turning towards her.

"I know this might come as a silly question-"

"Do you ask any other types of questions?"

"No, but this one seems more so, under the circumstances."

"Proceed then."

"Who are all these people?" Elliot asked, giving the packed room a brief glance.

"Your friends," Cece said.

Elliot nodded seriously.

"Ah, right, my mistake. Remind me how that came to be?" she asked.

"They were on you Facebook account," Cece said, taking a sip of her fruity looking drink.

"The account I haven't been on in two years? The one were I added these people as friends so I could stalk them to amuse myself?"

"Yup, that's the one."

"Okay as along as we are on the same page, possibly not the same book, but at least the same page."

Milo leaned forward.

"Are you saying you don't know any of these people?" he asked.

Elliot gazed around, squinting at the occupants of the restaurant. She pointed to a guy in the distance.