Chapter 23 - What's wrong, Cupcake?

Branton slowly but firmly closed the door behind him, the detective's blunt accusation lingering in his mind.

His head turned as soon as realisation kicked in. The mirror by the door reflected the intense fury that wracked his body.

He slammed his hands against either side of the mirror, the powerful impact shaking photographs from the wall and littering the stairs with glass.

He leaned forward as his face morphed into a horrendous mask of rage. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?"

As though flicking a switch, the reflection changed into one of boredom as Rex released a long, drawn-out whistle. "Branny's cranky."

Branton launched himself back in control, causing the body to jerk. "YOU KILLED HIM! DIDN'T YOU?!"

Rex batted Branton aside, his reflection yawning back at him. "Yeah, my bad. You know I can get a little stabby when I've had too much to drink."

Branton thrashed against Rex's influence, fighting for control. His pointless struggle was merely an annoyance as Rex flicked him aside. "Go and sit in the naughty corner and chill out."

Rex leaned against the wall and released a loud groan. He hadn't planned on Branton finding out about Robert.

How the fuck had he missed a spot? He had practically drenched the whole house in bleach.

And the captain dickhead award goes to..

Dragging his hand down his face in frustration he decided that he needed a drink, or ten.

...

Evie's frail frame was hunched against the door as sweat and tears dripped onto the carpet. Her knees started to shake, forcing her to drag her heavy body back to bed.

Her head spun and her vision blurred from lack of oxygen. Panting heavily she rested her palms against her knees as she struggled to catch her breath. She winced as she swallowed, her throat sore from screaming her lungs out.

She knew her room was soundproof, but it would have felt wrong had she not at least tried calling for help.

Her eyes widened as they landed on the flipped bowl of soup, the orange muck seeping into the carpet. Branton was going to lose it when he saw the mess.

The click of locks had her launching off the bed and diving towards the spill. She grabbed a discarded tea towel and started patting the stain. Natural light spilled into the room as the door opened. She could sense his presence but didn't dare raise her head to greet him. If the mess didn't send him into a fit, her tear-stricken face certainly would.

"I'm sorry about the mess," she sniffed.

He was quiet for a few moments before releasing a disinterested laugh. "Like I give a shit."

Evie stopped her clean-up attempt and gazed up.

"Again with the waterworks?" Rex tisked. "And would it kill you to put on a little makeup?"

She stared at him as she was flooded with a confusing range of emotions. Her mouth parted as though to speak, before quickly snapping shut. She opened her mouth again only to raise a hand to shield her quivering lip.

Her ears picked up the muttered curse as Rex awkwardly ran his hand through his hair. His expression wavered between uncomfortable and concerned. "What's wrong, Cupcake?"

Rex was taken off guard as she sprung to her feet and flew into his arms. He made a surprised grunt as she buried her face in his shirt. She tightened her arms around him.

"I can't do this," she whispered.

He carefully wrapped his arms around her waist. "From what I've seen, you've been doing well. Very convincing."

Was he jealous?

She leaned back to look into his hazel eyes. "I can't sleep with him, Rex."

He grabbed her chin and leaned towards her. "Who said anything about you fucking him?"

The relief she felt was short-lived as doubts quickly crept their way back into her head. "If I don't, he'll know I'm lying."

"I guess we'll have to deal with him quickly then." He cupped her face and moved his thumb gently under her eyes, brushing away the tears.

Her surprise at the caring gesture must have been obvious as Rex released a loud laugh. "Believe me, I'm as surprised as you are."

He tilted his head. "I like you, Kitten."

Completely taken off guard, her racing mind tried to comprehend what his motive might be. She stumbled backwards causing him to tighten his grip on her waist and yank her back towards him.

At seeing her distress, he ran his fingers through her long hair, tilting her head back. "This isn't a trick."

Suddenly his lips met hers in a heated intensity she had never experienced.

Her shoulders sagged in defeat, her body aching for comfort. She simply didn't have the willpower to resist him, and he knew it.

She slowly reached up to wrap her arms around his neck, drawing him closer.

As the heat quickly built, a moan escaped her as he grabbed her by the waist and crushed her body against his own. She parted her mouth, allowing his tongue to slip inside. Her head swam as she surrendered herself to him.

Rex groaned in approval as she playfully tugged on his bottom lip. He tugged at her clothes and threw the garments onto the floor, his eyes raking over her approvingly. Evie followed suit and yanked his shirt off before he picked her up and dropped her onto the bed.

She closed her eyes as he hovered over her.

"Say it," he whispered in her ear.

Her eyes fluttered open to meet his gaze. "Say what?" She panted.

He grabbed a fist full of her hair and gave a gentle, possessive tug. "You know what I want to hear."

Her eyes travelled to stare at the ceiling in thought. Another tug brought her attention back to him.

She licked her lips hesitantly. "I'm.. yours."