Chapter 4

Aspen was seated in the kitchen, on the island bright and early the next day. I was usually the only one up at that time and for me to have to share the one quiet time I usually had to myself irked me ever so slightly.

"Morning, Tostito," he remarked casually, stuffing a spoonful of my cereal in his mouth.

"Just so you know that's my favorite cereal, and definitely off limits to you," I said, grabbing the cereal box away from him. I knew I sounded like a selfish child but after the stunt, he pulled last night I wasn't feeling in the giving mood. He didn't even deserve a 'morning' back.

The box felt feather-light in my hand and I gasped as I turned it upside down shaking at its empty contents. "You finished my cereal?"

Aspen simply shrugged and took his attention to his phone screen as he continued to chew loudly. I rolled my eyes and put out a bowl of oatmeal for myself, taking a seat opposite to him. Scowling at him, I shoved mouthfuls of it violently into my mouth.

"So what's there to do in this town? He asked, his face unamused with whatever was on his phone. A part of me was curious as to why his phone had made him look so displeased.

"Lots, but for you, I'm sure staring at the big red rocks on the outskirts of town would be enough to keep your attention."

He looked up at me and chuckled, "someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed huh?"

"No, I just don't have time for your questions. I'm finally on a two-month break and I'm not going to spend it entertaining you."

"Never asked you to," He started, "Last I recall you wanted me to stay out of your way."

It was true. I did say that last night but annoyance still rose as he smirked. What I would do to smack it off his face. Several times would not be sufficient enough. I didn't give him the satisfaction of a reply and went back to inhaling down my oatmeal. Sitting here with him was beginning to look like a bad idea. And the quicker I finished the quicker I'd retreat upstairs.

"Oh, you both are up already," I heard my dad's voice say as he entered through the kitchen, "This is great. Aspen, what did you want to do on your first day here?"

Aspen looked at my dad contemplatively, "I don't mind going around town, check out a few places. Just get myself familiarised since I'm not too sure how long I'm staying here for. If Wynter's not busy I'm sure she could take me."

My eyes widened as my spoon clattered into my bowl, its contents flying onto my pajama top.

"That's a great idea, Wynter can you-" My dad began but I quickly cut him off by saying that I already had plans. It wasn't a lie. I planned to meet up with Chase and Lily. They just didn't know it yet.

His face dropped and he looked at me disapprovingly, "I'm sure you could make time for Luca, or at least include him in your plans."

"But dad-"

"No buts Wynter, I'm telling you to include him. I have to go to the hospital and Meredith has an appointment." My dad stated matter of factly. I actively glared at Aspen, my appetite gone and my bowl forgotten as my fingers clenched back and forth. When my dad left I got up and threw the bowl in the sink dramatically, leaving a loud clang to make him and admittedly myself jump. I turned to face him full-on.

"Be ready for noon, I'm literally leaving your ass if you're not."

"Wouldn't have to worry about that, Wynter. Of course, I'd be ready, wouldn't want to miss your lovely presence," he purred and I was fully aware that I had been played. Bout leaving me the hell alone. I should have guessed Aspen would be the type to get under my skin.

"Great," I mumbled sarcastically, practically running out the kitchen and up the stairs.

Of course, when I walked back downstairs five minutes before twelve, Aspen was already standing with his hands in his pockets of loose-fitting jeans right by the door. I couldn't help but notice how good he looked with his hair brushed back in dark brown waves, that one strand falling in front of his face.

"Ready?" He asked as I brushed past him, feeling the heat of his body left on mine. I ignored his question and got into the car, knowing he'd follow quickly behind.

"So where are we off to?" He inquired lazily, resting one of his combat boots on the dashboard.

"Please don't do that," I mumbled. The least he could do is have a little respect for my car. I knew it looked slightly run down from the outside, which it was because it had been vintage but had cost my dad a hell of a lot of cash. No reason for him to disrespect the inside.

He ignored my request and instead made one of his own, "Listen, if you don't want to be stuck with me all day. Which I know you do, let's face it," I gripped the steering wheel tighter as I drove out the gates, "But around three drop me by the casino, I'm supposed to be meeting someone."

"You made a friend so quickly?" I asked in disbelief.

"Somewhat." He said. I waited for him to elaborate but I knew that was expecting too much.

We drove around thirty minutes until I entered the town, approaching the closely-knit buildings enveloping us. I turned into the car park near my favorite candy shop.

"You're taking me to a candy shop?" He asked dumbfoundedly, "I knew you looked vanilla but come on Wynter, you could at least prove your stereotype wrong."

I spat back, "Nobody forced you to come last time I checked! Besides, I only come here for the pretzels."

"Relax Tostito, I'm just messing with you. I love pretzels." He replied with a chuckle. I realized at that point he was actively trying to get some sort of reaction from me and it was working. I was showing him too much of a reaction.