Chapter Twelve: Morning talks and Ipod Idol

I watched the world fly by the Impala as we headed back to Bobby's from the Djinn hunt. We had returned to the motel to grab our bags then hit the road. Dean wasn't saying much, not after he grounded me for the rest of my life. If he was going to be upset with me, I was going to let him. I screwed up and could have gotten Cass and myself killed, and to be honest that scared me.

What if Cassidy had died? If I didn't have those freak abilities, which I still haven't told the guys about the latest one yet, would she still be sitting beside me right now? Uncomfortable with my own train of thought I shoved it to the farthest corners of my mind. My Ipod had died about an hour ago, leaving me stranded without any source of entertainment, and sleep was not an option at this point in time.

There was, however, one thing that I couldn't get over, my Djinn reality. Was that really the world I wanted? To have a dysfunctional family, but have them be normal. For me not to be cursed with angel blood but cursed with a father in debut who flees to the bar when times get rough. If that's what I wanted, I am glad I don't have it. I will admit something though, it was amazing to see them unbroken and happy. Well mostly happy. That is always going to be something I wish they could be.

Closing my eyes and resting my head against the window I blocked out reality and took a stroll down memory lane. I saw my mom and me walking down Main Street of our town. Laughing and sipping our coffee in the late morning sun. I knew it was summer because the air was fresh and clean and the trees were lined with leaves. Mom was laughing and pushing her dark hair out of her face. Smiling, I watched us.

Reminiscing in the sweet bliss of the innocence of it all. As always ,however, my memories changed to different ones, but instead of being evil and nightmarish it was the first moment I met Dean. I saw his candy apple green eyes shine as he asked me about my pie and his little grin as he listened to Sam. That was my dad, in his most real and open form. Well, at least that I knew of.

I don't know how or when it happened, but I had at some point zoned out because the next thing I knew I was waking up. My eyes fluttered open at the sound of a silent engines, closing doors, and the lack of motion. My eyes were greeted by the dark night sky and the rustic looking house dancing with shadows from the bright porch light, Bobby's. Cass was still asleep next to me, this kinda seemed like her common state. Smiling, I shook her awake.

"Come on Cass. We're home," I said before climbing out of the car. She followed after me in a much slower pace but managed to drag herself out of the car. To save myself from a dirty look I grabbed her bag and carried it into the house. This kid's mood was like the weather, I swear, unpredictable.

It was was warm inside the hallway and the house smelled just like it always had, like Bobby. Beer, old books, strange spices and smoke. It smelled like home. Sam and Dean's voices came from the kitchen including the unmistakeable tone of Castiel. At first I was going to go in and say hi but instead me eyes became heavy and my limbs like lead. Wether I wanted it or not sleep demanded my attention. Cassidy had already disappeared up to her room no doubt. Dropping her bag on the floor I went to the front room and laid down on the couch, my eyes closing instantly.

"Rachel? Rachel?" a voice called out eerily. My eyes opened slowly, unsure if I had heard that or not. The pail morning sun was just coming in through the windows. Again the voice came distantly, but distinct.

"Bentley?" I asked, pushing my gently sleep tangled hair out of my face. His voice repeated my name, louder, closer this time. I got to me feet and went into the hallway. Was he hurt? Was he just trying to mess with me? "Bentley, where are you?"

"Rachel..." this time I was sure that it was coming from the kitchen. I walked towards it quickly but not quickly like a panic, just enough to be considered quick. The kitchen sliding doors were closed.