Chapter twenty

Turning into a mother of five

As soon as Ava passed the threshold she noticed the eery quietness stewing

As soon as Ava passed the threshold she noticed the eery quietness stewing. With caution, the younger O'Connell crept through the home and toward Camilles room.

There laid an unconscious sweaty mess of a blonde, heaped in a ball and covered by a bundle of sheets.
She had wondered why Cami had left before Ava had retrieved her gumbo.

The pot sat in Ava's palm and a wave of guilt flooded through her veins. She quickly placed the pot next to her sister and kissed the barely stirring blondes forehead before creeping back toward the living room.

Camis phone began to vibrate as Ava left, and as Ava was adamant her sister should sleep as she quickly answered it herself.

"We're already low on staff Cami you need to come back in." A voice begged from down the line. Ava laughed slightly at their desperation for help, it wasn't even dark.

"She's sleeping. Don't worry I got you covered." Ava chirped before hanging up and slipping the phone back next to her sister. Already feeling the dread of the manager as she hung up the phone.

*****

Ava was polishing a sticky glass from the counter as she absentmindedly took orders from behind the bar. Her eyes kept glancing back to her unloved phone, she was debating whether to call her sister or an actual doctor-
Cami didn't look right.

"Penny for your thoughts." A low hum of a man asked as Ava slid the clean glass under the bar. The girl glanced up to see a broody brunette stuck to one of the vacant stools, nursing a bourbon within his grasp.

"We all have our secrets. Better not waste a penny." Ava commented with a smirk, topping up his drink as she leant against the surface. The man smirked back, swirling the liquid in his glass as a sort of acknowledgement.

"Well now I'm intrigued." He replied, scuffing his towering quiff he had accumulated after what looked like hours of maintenance.

"I'll tell you my secret if you tell me yours. Why are you drinking before 5?" Ava laughed, taking yet another filthy glass from the side and pretending to clean it.

The ring on the mystery mans finger glistened as it reflected light of a photo in the background. The lapis blazed a hot blue as it contrasted to the cold silver surrounding it.

"Girl problems. Lots of girl problems." The man groaned as he downed the remainder of his drink. Ava smiled brightly at his statement, the refreshment of something normal and humane being behind his worries.

"Ah, when is it not girl problems." Ava sighed a faux sigh as she watched him twirl the ring on his finger.

"Your turn." He laughed, eager to hear the bartenders words of wisdom.