Credence Barebone - "Please, don't leave."

You placed the last clean plates on the shelf and took off your apron. "I am done for today." You nodded at Credence, who acted like he was reading a book.

He looked up for a short moment and nodded. He rarely said something, but sometimes you wondered what was going on in his mind and what he would say if he had the courage to talk.

"Do you need anything before I go, Credence?" You tried to catch his gaze, but he was clearly avoiding your glance. "Something to eat? Something to drink? Someone to talk to?" You asked these questions day after day, but he had never said yes even though you knew that he did need you.

The palms of his hands were always red and swollen. He never smiled and whenever you were around, he never left your side even though he never dared to say a word.

"Ok, Credence." You walked towards the door and looked over your shoulder one more time. "I see you tomorrow then?" You hesitated for a short moment and all of a sudden Credence cleared his throat.

"Please, don't leave." It were the first words he had ever said to you and they were barely more than a whisper. "Please, stay." He bent his head and stared at the book he was not reading.

"I would love to, Credence." You curled your lips up into a smile. "But I have a better idea, if you are willing to take a small risk." You waited for a moment and checked, just to be sure, if there was no one else who could hear the two of you. "Let's leave this place. Let's go somewhere safe. Let's go far away from your so called mother and this entire family. Would you like that?"

Credence looked up and for the first time his eyes met yours. His lips, and you didn't even know they could do that, curled up into a small smile. "I'd love that."