55

C H A P T E R  55

Dumbledore called for the Gryffindors to be sent back to the Great Hall while he set off to notify the other three houses.

Once the Gryffindors had started to walk back down the steps, Samantha had her own idea. She started to slow down and soon snuck away from the group and to the back stairwell.

In a strong haste, she practically ran down the stairs and to the nearest window to the outside grounds. As she ran to the Whomping Willow, Samantha heard the sharp sound of the Entrance doors closing...and locking.

'I guess I'm locked out,' she thought annoyed as she jumped inside the whole and ran towards the Shrieking Shack.

Samantha slammed the door open and quickly looked around to try and find him. First to make sure no one saw him, then to kill him for being so stupid.

"SIRIUS?!" she yelled and ran up the stairs to the bedroom. "SIRIUS ORION BLACK THE THIRD YOU ARE A DEAD MAN!"

Pushing open the door, Samantha found him pacing by the bed.

He looked over at her and froze at her angry expression. "I guess word spread, right?" Sirius said in a joking tone but then stopped when he saw that Samantha was not having it.

"You're damn right it spread! What in bloody Merlin's name were you thinking?!" She charged towards him and stood a few feet away from him. Her arms were crossed and was now tapping her foot repeatedly.

Sirius shook his head in annoyance. "I was thinking that I can't continue to wait. I want that rat dead and I want him dead now!"

"So you choose to not tell me and risk getting caught?!" Her voice rose with every word.

"I knew you would say no and say we have to wait until Scabbers starts to notice I'm here."

Samantha took a breath and started to tell him about the Crookshanks incident and Sirius raised an eyebrow in confusion.

Did that cat actually suspect Pettigrew?

"I'm sure cats chase rats isn't the only explanation as to why he went after Scabbers," Samantha said as she sat down in the nearby chair. Both of them had calmed down and started to speak rationally.

"That cat has to have a reason," Sirius said scratching his chin.

"So what are you going to do? Ask Crookshanks?" Samantha spoke with a laugh. That would certainly be ridiculous.

Sirius looked up at her and his usual mischievous grin started to form on his rugged face. "As Sirius no, but as Padfoot yes."

• • • • •

Ten minutes later, the Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, and Slytherins arrived at the Great Hall and Dumbledore waved his hand which caused the four tables to disappear and sleeping bags taking their place.

The group took a couple and proceeded to a wall nearby and sat down. Once they got comfortable, they all seemed to notice the same thing. Samantha was not with them.

"Maybe she went with Cedric," Fred said as he adjusted his pillow.

Everyone agreed and started to talk about the upcoming match against Slytherin but Percy yelled, "Lights out!"

At about three in the morning, Dumbledore came into the Great Hall and approached Percy to see how everything was going on in there. He of course said in a pompous tone that everything was under perfect control.

Soon after, Snape entered and told him that whole castle had been searched and there was no sign of Sirius Black.

"I didn't think he would linger," Dumbledore said sighing.