Thirteen

Long, long chapter for you guys! Just because I love you!

Chapter Thirteen

C A R A

Dominic had been in a private meeting with Andrew for hours now. It wasn't a normal meeting because usually, they involved other officials. But it was just the two of them, which meant something personal. Alfie wasn't answering my texts and I was really starting to get bored. My laptop was in the office, so I couldn't even play games. I'd normally watch TV, but Dominic requested I not because they needed silence and complete privacy.

I decided on kicking around a soccer ball in the front yard, kicking it against the side of Dominic's garage and chasing after it. But after fifteen minutes, even that bored me. So I just slumped onto the grass with a groan.

It was probably another half hour before Dominic and Andrew shuffled from the house. I rolled to my feet, going to meet them. When they saw me, both of them froze. A flash of guilt appeared on Dominic's face, while Andrew just looked tense and a little uncomfortable.

"Is everything okay?" I quizzed.

"Yes. Go inside, Caroline."

I frowned. "You only call me that when something is up. What's going on?" I looked over to Andrew, who was avoiding my gaze. "Is it Alfie? He hasn't been answering my texts. Is he okay?"

"He's fine. He's just busy," Andrew snapped suddenly, making me flinch with how upset he was. "He... he's just fine." Andrew stalked off to his car, ripping the door open and climbing inside.

I gazed up at Dominic, who put a hand on my waist. "Let's have a talk, sugar."

Now I was pulled into his office. Only we sat next to each other on the couch. "I didn't mean to upset Andrew. I just-"

"You didn't. I mean... he isn't upset with you. There are some changes that are happening soon that are stressing him out, that's all."

Stressful changes? Like what? I hadn't heard of anything crazy going on. It's been a quiet, uneventful time for us. "Is everything okay between him and Alfie? Don't tell me they aren't getting along. Or if Andrew is mistreating Alfie, I'll rip his balls off and-"

Dominic slapped his hand over my mouth, rolling his eyes. "They are disgustingly in love. Happily, safely, healthy in love. Will you please shut up? You're just making this worse for me."

His hand slowly left my face, but not before his thumb brushed over my lips. "You're scaring me, Dominic," I confessed. "What's happening?"

"You know how I may be the Alpha of our country, but there's Alphas of other regions?" he quizzed, to which I nodded. "And you know that some Alpha's are born and bred that way, the alpha tendencies and powers can be passed down through genes. But not all Alphas are that way."

"You can fight for the position, right? Or like a beta might take the position if his alpha can't continue?" I clarified.

Dominic smiled softly. "Yes, sugar. Exactly right. Andrew is my beta. But he wasn't supposed to be in that position this long. Only for a few years, until he got some training and experience under his belt."

"So he's a born alpha then?" Dominic nodded slowly, examining my face. "So is he battling you for the title...?"

Dominic rubbed his face with both hands, groaning. "God, this is hard." I raised one eyebrow expectantly. He must be over-exaggerating or something.

"Are you playing a joke on me? Because it isn't funny."

"No, Caroline. Of course not."

I snorted. "Just tell me! You're making this worse by just avoiding it. You must be making a bigger deal out of it than-"