Chapter 9: Wrap n' Go

Serene crashed onto his sofa, shouting into his pillow. He felt his heart pound, chills moving through his body. He turned around to face the ceiling, sensing his face burn. The scene of Nicolas walking towards him with an intimidating look reappeared in his memory. He scowled at himself, sitting up, clutching the pillow, and slamming it into his face. He took a deep breath.

A growl interrupted his anxiety, his stomach calling out for food. Serene dropped the pillow, pulled his legs out of the couch, and landed on the floor. Serene stared at the empty beige wall, feeling drowsy as he stood up.  He didn't really have an idea where he wanted to eat, but he went with the safest bet and made the decision to go to Wrap n' Go. A fast-food restaurant near him.  Serene strolled passed the kitchen, grabbing the keys to his apartment.

"It's only a few houses down." he calmed himself, feeling his legs tremble. He opened the front door, stepping out of the cold apartment. The sunlight shined on him, making him feel even more fatigued. He locked the door to his flat, his hands quivering as he shoved his keys and hand into his jean pocket. His heart sank, remembering Nicolas' breath on his neck. The warmth that the assistant felt when Nick was close.

He began walking down the sidewalk, passing by the other lots. The scenario just kept popping back into his head. 'What Ifs?'

'What if I had kissed him? What if he'd gone further? What if he hadn't stopped?' Serene thought, gazing down at his feet. He was in his world, not paying attention to his surroundings. He made a turn, walking into the restaurant's parking lot.

His blue eyes glared down at me. His lips curved into a smile as he pinned me to the wall. Closing the space between us, leaning into my neck, breathing on it slowly, and with every blow he did was every second I held my breath.

"Woah!" an outcry broke Serene's line of thought. He looked up, jumping out of the way of a girl who drove her bike.  She drove her bike around, her lips forming a smile, "Wow! You dodged that quickly, my dude."

Serene furrowed his eyebrows, "Are you insane? I could've gotten hurt!"

Her blonde hair swayed behind her as she stopped her bike next to Serene, looking at him, "But I didn't." she sang. She pouted, seeing Serene neglect her as he walked past her and into the fast-food restaurant.

The assistant took a deep breath, regaining his awareness. He was annoyed at how stupid he was not paying thought to where he was moving. He felt guilt weigh on his shoulders, ignoring the girl like that. The entrance to the restaurant opened as Serene stood in front of the counter. The bike rider walked next to him, crossing her arms, "Are you not going to ask how I am?"

"You're the one who was behind the wheel," Serene answered, looking up at the menu.

The girl scoffed, "You're the one who wasn't looking both ways, Mr. Nice guy!"

Serene turned to her, raising an eyebrow. Her green eyes were elegant, like staring into an emerald. She was shorter than Serene, making him look down at her. He felt the guilt press down onto his shoulders, groaning to himself, "Yeah, okay, sorry. I kind of dozed off."

She grinned, "Kind of? You completely cut me out of your vision."

"My fault." Serene confessed, approaching the counter, "Morning. Can I get an egg and bacon sandwich with a coffee?"

The elder behind the register nodded, pressing in the order, "Is she with you?" he asked calmly with a soft smile. Serene quickly returned, not turning around to face her, "No."

He looked up, his smile sending Serene and the girl good vibes. It was lovely seeing an old man smile early in the morning. It brought warmth to those who needed it, "Your total will be 4.58."