Chapter 8

"What do you think?" I ask nervously. When they don't say anything after a couple seconds, my face gets a little red. I knew this was a bad idea.

"Babe, you look really fucking hot! Like holy shit! Turn around lemme see the back," Talie says.

I turn around in front of the mirror, and Talie of course makes a comment about how the dress is completely backless.

"Ooh, a dress on the dangerous side, I like it." She raises her eyebrows at me, smirking knowingly.

Axel clears his throat before saying, "You look gorgeous as always Esme."

As always?

I turn to him and his normally light blue eyes have seemingly changed into a deeper, darker midnight blue color.

"Thanks," I smile and look into the mirror. After further examination, I reevaluate my decision. "I don't know if I like it, the dress is a bit revealing don't you think?"

"Hell no! Isn't that the purpose - to show a little skin?"

"Maybe, but it's too short," I whine, "I'm not getting it."

"Yes you are!" Talie yells to me as I make my way back to the stall.

I change back into my outfit, putting the dress back onto its hanger. As Talie, Axel, and I exit the dressing room, I place the dress on the I-don't-want-it rack. We head to the front register to check out our clothes. Yet again, I allow Talie to go before me in purchasing her stuff. She looks like she's just about to collapse from all the clothes she's holding.

While waiting in line, I place my clothes on the counter beside Tal and reach for my purse on my shoulder for my debit card. When I don't see my card in my wallet, I check the side pockets of my bag. When it's not there, I become frantic. Where the hell is it? I double check my wallet to make sure that I didn't overlook it.

Axel must have noticed my distress because he asks, "Is everything alright Esme?"

I nod my head and continue digging around in my purse for what I'm beginning to think isn't there.

"What are you looking for?"

"My debit card, it was just..." Then I remember that I must've left it on my laptop from when I bought my books. Damn it, this would be my luck.

"I forgot my freakin' debit card in my dorm room," I bite my lip in frustration. "Typical me. I can't buy my ---"

"I can pay for your stuff, if you want," Axel offers.

"No, I couldn't ---"

"I insist."

"No, it's fine."

"Please, let me. You can pay me back later, if you feel bad."

"No."

"Yes."

I give in. "Fine." He obviously wasn't going to back down. "Are you sure? I feel so bad." I frown.

"Don't feel bad, you can pay me back later," he points out.

"Just let my brother pay for you Esme," Talie cuts in. "He can handle himself."

She expertly takes Axel's wallet from his grasp and leans up to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Love you."

She hands the card to the cashier and selects debit as the form of payment.

I turn to Axel. "Thank you so much, I'll pay you back as soon as possible. You really didn't have to ---"