Chapter Sixteen

A massive thank you to theworddealer for the four beautiful covers she made! Be sure to check out her cover shop if you want one made! There are so many amazing options!

Chapter Sixteen

If anything, the movie made it worse. After watching it and seeing the main character resolve a long-standing family issue, it makes me think I might be able to do the same for a little while. Now I'm wondering if I really should go visit them for Christmas.

But that's crazy, right? It's a movie, everything works out in movies, so why would I think that would happen with my family? They basically disowned me when I told them I was going to Georgetown for a visual arts degree. Then they openly praised and worshipped my sister in front of me until I couldn't stand it any longer. They didn't even come to my graduation.

They actively chose to take my sister on a celebratory trip to Germany the week of my graduation and didn't even tell me about it. I found out through her Instagram.

"Are you okay?" I jump a little at the question and notice that we're parked outside the coffee shop. I glance over at him to see concern on his face, but I try to ignore it because I don't really feel like talking about this. Especially to him right now when we've only just been on our second date.

"Yeah, I'm fine, thank you," I quickly deflected, immediately getting out of the car so I could get into my own car and drive home.

Before I can, he gets out of his and asks the one question I really don't want to hear right now.

"Are you sure?"

My hand stops right before I grab the handle to my car, but after a moment, and without a word, I get in and drive away.

I just can't right now.