65

C H A P T E R  65

"I don't need help from filthy little mudbloods like her!"
"I'd wash your pants if I were you, Snivellus."

Those words continued to flood Snape's mind when the three left his office. It was all coming back to him. He had suppressed this memory for so long that when it was briefly mentioned, it resurfaced like a tidal wave, crashing and destroying everything that stood in its way.

He sunk back in his seat and pressed his lips into a thin line. He had ruined everything. When he said those words to Lily, he felt like his whole world had been ripped away from him.

He turned cold...unfazed...expressionless.

His only true friend had let him go....and went to the one person that terrorized him for so long and without a motive other than to show his arrogance and what he called superiority. Snape wasn't afraid to admit that he hated James. Why shouldn't he? They've been enemies since they first met back on the Hogwarts Express.

He couldn't help taking his anger out on the two things that reminded him of the person he hated the most. One looked just like him and the other acted just like him. Both of them together was his worst nightmare....and that was what he experienced this afternoon.

But he would never admit that.

Snape wished he could just let go of the past....and forget. But he just couldn't. Everything that surrounded him reminded him of the mistakes he made and what he would give to go back to that day and change everything.

But he couldn't. It was all in the past. What happened happened for a reason and Snape had to accept it.

But that didn't mean he had to be happy about it....at least that was his logic. He could be cold and bitter and empty inside and that was perfectly fine. He could treat the Potters with total disgust and hatred since that was the way he felt.

That was Snape's reasoning.....

However, when he saw the evil look in Samantha's sharp hazel eyes just then, something...something very slight stirred within him. It almost looked like she was mirroring his expressions and he didn't know what to think about that.

Was that how he looked all the time?

That look like he was the one thing she hated the most.

But Snape felt no remorse. He felt nothing. He had been suppressing his emotions for years and nothing was ever going to change that....

At least that was what he thought

• • • • •

Samantha froze. She was playing with the cuff of her jacket and then instantly let go of it. She looked up at Remus who was narrowing his eyes at her. He knew. From the way he was looking at it, he recognized it instantly.

She was cursing herself for wearing it...but she didn't think she would see Remus and as well for him recognizing it.

"Oh you know...I bought it for myself. Saw it in an add in Witch Weekly," she spoke, hating that she had to lie to him. But she couldn't tell Remus. Not when he thought differently of Sirius. It wasn't her place to tell Remus about Sirius. It was Sirius' and it was only up to him.