67

C H A P T E R  67

C H A P T E R  67

Remus' eyes instantly widened and he almost dropped his wand. "Wha--"

Samantha's breath hitched in her throat and she slowly started to sink back in her seat. It was finally happening. Sirius must have been trotting around as Padfoot...maybe watching Buckbeak and came into contact with the trio and Pettigrew.

They were now all in the Shrieking Shack.

They had to get there before Harry and Sirius both did something they would regret.

"I--" Remus started but didn't know exactly what to say.

Samantha watched his expression turn from shock to confusion to deep in thought and then to realization. Remus looked up and the pieces finally had come together. He saw a quick trace of Peter Pettigrew a few nights ago but he thought he was tired or dreaming. Now seeing it again all made sense.

"Peter Pettigrew is alive."

"I know," Samantha said and tried to keep her emotions level. It was time for the truth.

Remus' expression should have been framed. It was a mix between shock and confusion. "You--you know? How?"

"Because....because Sirius told me."

His eyebrows laced together. "He--what?!"

Samantha bit her lip and then saw the five names disappear off the Map. They had to go. She stood up abruptly. "Look, I can explain later. We have to go."

She then quickly started to walk out of Remus' office. Remus didn't think to wipe the Map and followed her. "When did he tell you?"

Samantha quickened her pace down the hall and to the stairs. "Well I've been speaking with him...and hanging out with him...since the beginning of the year," she said, breaking off here and there when they walked down a flight.

Remus was now even more confused and could not believe what he was saying. Samantha could sense this from behind her as they neared the entrance hall. "I will explain very shortly. But just know that Sirius is innocent."

That seemed to confirm his suspicions. Even though what happened broke Remus, he still had a small sliver of hope. And hearing Samantha, who implied that she was much more involved in this, say he was innocent, then there was only one conclusion. Remus began to mull this thought over as they ran across the grounds over to where the Whomping Willow was. It was thrashing and acting like its usual self.

"Immobulus," Samantha cried and pointed her wand at the tree. It stilled right away and they neared the hole.

"After you," Remus spoke with a small grin.

She chuckled and slid through the small hole. Samantha stood on the familiar ground and waited for Remus. She was too busy waiting for him that she didn't notice the Invisibility Cloak right next to her feet. Remus soon slid through and they started down the path.