Chapter 13

Cyrus's POV

"Are you sure there aren't any others living in the house?" I turned to the woman who followed behind us. She noticed the door and immediately her face paled. She said nothing, only moving her gaze between me and the door.

"Mind if I take a look down there?" I pointed towards the stairs. The woman glanced at my father, who was eyeing us suspiciously. 

She nodded. "Of course..." I quickly turned and began making my way down. I found an overhang light, and pulled the cord, lighting up the room.

As I had predicted, it was a basement. But, it was made into some sort of bedroom. A pile of old, torn blankets made up what I assumed was a bed. Boxes of photos, blankets, and other memorabilia  were pushed to the corner.

The same sweet smell was on everything in the room, the bed being where the smell was thickest. I was tempted to jump onto the bed, surrounding myself with the scent. "Who sleeps down here? Eve? Adalynn?" 

The woman tried her best to keep a straight face. "Oh... No one, really... Just him."

"Him?"

"Elijah. A servant we keep around. A male servant." 

My father looked surprised. "Elijah?!" His eyes lit up. "Of course!"

"Father?" He turned to me, smiling.

"Elijah was a boy I took in a few years ago. You remember? Short, scrawny, very quiet boy." Memories of a small boy living in the pack house invaded my mind. I hadn't really gotten to know him that well. Not just because of our ranks, but because I never really tried to get to know him. I felt really guilty after he left.

"Now, what's this about a servant?" 

The woman turned red. "I-"

"I specifically told you to take care of him! Not treat him like a servant!" My father's expression was angry, but slightly sad and guilty. "You may go now." He waved away the woman who quickly left the basement, leaving us alone. 

"What happened to him?"

"Elijah... Is the pack's Omega. Because of that, he was shunned by the people of the pack. His parents, they loved him. But, his father was called to fight, and never returned. His mother died shortly after. I brought him here, and began making frequent visits. But after a while I just... Stopped coming. I never meant for this to happen."

I took a deep breath, thinking of the small boy, and comparing him to the mystery girl. I continued breathing in the wonderful scent of the room. "Elijah... Is my mate."