Chapter 18

I have nothing to do after dance practice so I decide to have a town day. This is a thing I do about once a month or so. I walk around, randomly going into shops that I feel like going into, sometimes buying stuff and sometimes just looking, I always go into the bookstore and stay in there until I find a interesting sounding book. I go to the ice cream shop, I go to the park and swing, and play on the monkey bars (yes I know I'm old, don't judge me!).-of course everyone is pointing and whispering as I pass them, no doubt freaked out by my crazy looking nose.

I ignore them as best as I can though-But once I'm done with all of that, I do my favorite thing of all, I walk down the long, dirt road with all of the millions of different turns and trees, and I go to my favorite place in the world, I call it Secreuni (pronounced see-cree-you-knee) the secre part is for secret, and the uni part is for unique. Because it's a very secret and unique place (I was thirteen when I found the place, so don't bash on my un-creative name)

it's a big, open field with a mixture of beautiful lush green grass and gorgeous looking pink flowers. big full trees surrounding it. It's hidden away from everything and everybody.

There's a medium size completely blue lake next to the field. I came here everyday for three months when I first found it four years ago. I had added all kinds of stuff to make it feel more homey and fun. After watching like a bajillion YouTube videos, I attempted to build a small shed, it turned out it wasn't as easy as it sounds, the roof was slanted, the door didn't fit right and it didn't open all the way, the wood was uneven and slanted, but in the end it held stuff in it and kept it dry which was all I really needed. I keep magazines, blankets, battery's, and a battery taking radio in there.

I had even started a small garden that had different kinds of flowers. Then I had made a homemade sign (also very crappy looking) and stuck it in the front of the field that said in big bold bubble letters "Secreuni belongs to Beth, any trespassers will die a very painful and torturous death, I advice you not to trespass"...I was very serious about this place at age thirteen.

I had saved up my allowance for months and finally had enough to buy those lawn light things. You know, those things that go in the ground, they're solar powered, and they light up. You usually put them in the ground to a walk way,...oh never mind. Anyways I had a lot of those that lit up on both sides that led from the field to the lake, it looked really pretty actually, especially at night.

I remember the day that I had found this place. I was pissed off at my mom because she told me I couldn't have a large pizza to myself. I stomped out the door and just started walking. I have lived in this same town all of my life and yet I'd never seen this road until that day. I had to go through a very deep woods, and take a million different turns that somehow led me to this exact field, but I found it, I instantly fell in love with the beautiful place and started coming here every day after school, I have no idea how I remembered every turn that I took, but I did. I never once told another soul about this place, when my mom asked where I was I told her I had been outside walking, she didn't really ask any further questions, I'm not really sure why, but she didn't.

This place was like a second home to me. After I got done building all that stuff, I started laying out the blankets and just laid on them staring up at the clouds as I listened to the radio, after a while it got kind of old and I stopped coming as much, it minimized down to where I only go when I'm really sad or, like today, I just randomly feel like it.

I walk over to my crappy little shed and pull out my big, purple blanket and lay it out across the field. Sitting down I look around at the space that surrounds me. I can hear the sound of birds tweeting as the wind blows through my hair. I swear this is the most magical place on earth, or at least in West Virginia. I close my eyes and lay back on my blanket, listening closely to the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind.