37. the inevitable ending

S O R E N

S O R E N

"I'm f-fine, get off me y-you assholes." I growled through chattering teeth, shoving Red away only to get pushed back into to the car seat by Colin.

"Bullshit, you're shivering so much you look like a human vib-" Colin's voice was cut off by Robin who swore loudly as I vomited on him. 

"Fuck, shit--" Robin pulled his door close and buckled me in the seat, gagging at the smell of the vomit. Of course, Colin was a sympathy gagger.

Robin and Colin gagged almost in sync as I pulled the blankets closer to my body, shaking uncontrollably.

"Soren you've got pneumonia, how do you not realise you had fucking pneumonia?" Red cried as he sped down the road, over the icy ground, "You'd be dead right now if I hadn't come into your room and found you crumpled on the bathroom floor."

"It wasn't that dramat--" my chest ached as if someone was squeezing my lungs like a wet rag, I coughed uncontrollably.

Robin continued to gag and Colin followed a beat after him, "If I hadn't come back to get a few exact boxes--"

"Oh sh--" coughing uncontrollably again, I winched in pain, "it's not t-that..."

I examined the moisture on my hands from coughing, it was greeny, yellow. Resting my head back in my seat, feeling another wave of vomit settling in my throat. Turns out a warm bath hadn't gotten rid of the cold, I needed emergency help.

My chest heaved as it became harder to breathe.

It was the second time I had pulled up in front of the hospital, unable to walk. Red parked the car in the emergency drop off and ran to open to my door. Colin gagged as he opened the passenger door and I'm pretty sure Robin fell out of the car, heaving for skin air.

Red reached over me and unbuckled my seatbelt, pushing away my shaking hand as I fumbled to do it myself. He shoved an arm under my legs and heaved me out of the car.

Mum wasn't home, she was at Christmas dinner that the neighbourhood wives held. The Christmas Light competition winner would be announced. Albert had watched the boys drag me out of the house, saying nothing.

"He's got pneumonia." Colin cried to the the plump lady at the emergency front desk. She nodded and grabbed the phone, talking into it quickly.

Her eyes met mine before I turned to my head to Red and whispered, "Red... I-I can't—breathe."

Nurses took my out of Red's arms and placed my heaving body onto a medical trolley, wheeling, and almost running through the corridors. But I never let go of Red's wrist.